Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

how do I decide which gears to replace?

560 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jeffscott 
#1 ·
I have a specialized rockhopper and I live in very hilly country. 6 knee surgeries makes the hills hard so that it would be nice to have a slightly lower gear to go to when ascending a steep hill and I wouldn't mind a higher gear for the downhills. With the stock setup I can max at about 28mph going down a steep hill.

I don't know if this is the important info, but I counted the teeth on the gears and this is what I have:
front: 22,32,42
rear: 11,12,14,16,18,21,26,32

How do I decide what to change out? Front or rear? Any recommendations would be appreciated very much.
Dan

#3 ·
deepdrop said:
I have a specialized rockhopper and I live in very hilly country. 6 knee surgeries makes the hills hard so that it would be nice to have a slightly lower gear to go to when ascending a steep hill and I wouldn't mind a higher gear for the downhills. With the stock setup I can max at about 28mph going down a steep hill.

I don't know if this is the important info, but I counted the teeth on the gears and this is what I have:
front: 22,32,42
rear: 11,12,14,16,18,21,26,32

How do I decide what to change out? Front or rear? Any recommendations would be appreciated very much.
Dan
I got a bad knee....

I run a 46 32 22 and an 11 34 in the back...

I like the 46/11 for bombing down the fire roads.
I like the 22/34 for a rest climbing the mountains.
I like the 32/34 for banging out a climb as fast as I can.

The new doubles are not for me......I might like a 48 36 24 with a 11/36 cassette...Though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.