Still learning
    Dec 2006

How to destroy a derailluer

Last weekend I ran an enduro event, my first one, but as luck would have it I managed to destroy the rear derailluer before I'd even started by getting the whole derailluer stuck in the spokes. The result was massive mis-shifting and unusable top gears, which got worse and worse throughout the week as the derailluer got more use.

I suspected at the time that I had not put the rear wheel back on correctly - meaning the whole rear wheel wasn't straight. It seems, after replacing the derailluer hanger this morning, the evidence backs that up.

The observant of you will notice a second set of score marks where the skewer has been tightened - you can imagine the angle that would have had the whole rear wheel on. Fortunately I have a new XT on its way - I'm hoping this LX can hold out a week, but who knows.

In addition, it isn't shown in the photo, but the hanger is bent one or two degrees. The result is the hanger being almost a centimeter inwards of where it should sit.

The moral of this story - check things carefully before riding if you've done any work whatsoever

Currently un-unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    Last weekend I ran an enduro event, my first one, but as luck would have it I managed to destroy the rear derailluer before I'd even started by getting the whole derailluer stuck in the spokes. The result was massive mis-shifting and unusable top gears, which got worse and worse throughout the week as the derailluer got more use.

I suspected at the time that I had not put the rear wheel back on correctly - meaning the whole rear wheel wasn't straight. It seems, after replacing the derailluer hanger this morning, the evidence backs that up.

The observant of you will notice a second set of score marks where the skewer has been tightened - you can imagine the angle that would have had the whole rear wheel on. Fortunately I have a new XT on its way - I'm hoping this LX can hold out a week, but who knows.

In addition, it isn't shown in the photo, but the hanger is bent one or two degrees. The result is the hanger being almost a centimeter inwards of where it should sit.

The moral of this story - check things carefully before riding if you've done any work whatsoever
    I would get your rear dropout alignment checked, riding with the wheel that crooked may have done some damage to the frame; how much, if any is impossible to say unless you get this checked. Some aluminum frames can be realigned within small parameters, as it depends on the design of the dropouts primarily. If the frame is severly (cannot be corrected) out of alignment, things may crack down the road. A shop should be able to check it for you for a minimal charge (if any), as it just involves removing the wheel and attaching the alignment guages to each dropout. Re-aligning them is where it can get tricky. Better safe than sorry.

-R

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Cool. I've booked it in to have a few things done including the brakes bled on Wednesday, so will discuss this with them at that point.

Also, had another look at the hanger, the inner section, which is supposed to be perpendicular, is bent at an 8.5 degree angle. Yikes.