Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    the catalan connection

Listen! How to convert new 770 XT shifters into “multi release”…easily! Who needs XTR??

I was checking the internals of my XT 770 shifters when I came across something you might like to hear.
    I was with the right shifter on my hand with the covers removed just clicking back and forth when suddently clicked twice the release lever! That´s correct, the release black upper lever that is supposed to just click once per stroke, was making a second click if I pushed it further (see first 3 pics)The click was neat, fresh, as good as the first, in both directions…
    Since the shifter cover was removed, the only thing stopping the lever from moving to the second click was obviously on the plastic cover. I was afraid some major damage to the cover would be needed if I wanted to keep that new multi release discovery moving, probably rendering the cover useless…But I was lucky…
    See, I first mounted the upper cover back (which is a pain to disassemble) and the upper lever was still “multi release” as good as before, so the “stopper” was not there (so you won´t have to disassemble it if going to do this…) Then I went for the lower cover and there it was. A “L” shaped plastic wall was locking the movement of a small secondary racket pivot that rotates as you push the lever (see pics). It looks like its there just to stop that pivot, and that´s it. It has no structural function other than that. Good. A sharp cutter easily took care of that. It was super easy as the plastic is rather “rubbery” compared to other shimano shifter covers, and had some “butter” feel as I sliced through it. Next trimed wider the window along wich the lever moves as it is actuated. Even easier. Maybe a couple mm per side, if not less, did the job (last pic shows everything trimmed) Fitted back the cover, all bolts went back in perfectly, and…VOILA! My shifters are now multi release!
    Guarantee is void, sure, but the modification is very small compared to what I get.
    I have ridden it once since the modification, so I can´t tell about reliability…but so far works as good as before. The second click is as firm and well defined as the first. Just a detail: There is a solid stop as I try to go even further the second click when pulling the lever (towards me), but when I push it (away from me) beyond that second click, that solid stop is not there. While on the stand, I have managed to do a rather undefined third click pushing a bit harder (and released three gears), but when riding, pushing that third click is pretty out of my thumb reach anyway, so no big deal. No clearance issues either(I run xtr disc levers)
    Major skills are not required IMO, but minimum care is necessary. Removing the lower cover is tricky, but not a nightmare as the upper, and as I said, is made of very flexible plastic, couldn´t imagine how to brake it. I can´t remember if it´s even necessary to unscrew the barrel adjuster from the shifter, but the cable is certainly not necessary to be removed, which is good. I´m not sure either if the adjustable clamp has to be disassembled from the shifter too…sorry, I took everything apart becouse I was going for something else when I started.
    My advice? You can try this: Remove the lower cover (which shouldn´t void guarantees if done carefuly) and actuate the upper release lever. If you like it, go ahead. If you don´t, fit it back.
    I´m starting to like these shifters more
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by What&son; 08-24-2009 at 03:12 AM.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

...idios...
    I have a 770 shifter sitting in my parts box. I shall be testing this information and butchering it as soon as I get home! Excellent tip, thanks.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I wonder if that applies to SLX as well. I'd love to upgrade my secondary mountain bike to multi-release, but would be reluctant to leave it locked up in public with XTR shift pods on it, even if I could afford another set of XTRs.

Anyway, if it works, I nominate it for Best Shifter Hack EVAR

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    I have a 770 shifter sitting in my parts box. I shall be testing this information and butchering it as soon as I get home! Excellent tip, thanks.
    Enjoy it! And please, keep us updated...so far I´m the only one I know that has gone through it...I´m curious to see how it works for others.

cheers
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    I wonder if that applies to SLX as well. I'd love to upgrade my secondary mountain bike to multi-release, but would be reluctant to leave it locked up in public with XTR shift pods on it, even if I could afford another set of XTRs.

Anyway, if it works, I nominate it for Best Shifter Hack EVAR
    That SLX would be worth checking indeed. Mmm...I wonder if we are ruining next year´s shimano upgrades here...

MTB B'dos
    You know they say there's trickle down, bugt maybe this is SHimano's cheapie way to make the MUCH more expensive XTRs have a feature over the much more reasonable XTs I have a set of the LXs, so I'll be taking a look see on if this mod will work on them also.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

...idios...
    Here are the two lower portions of the shifter casings...

multishift.jpg

Just as What&son surmised, the significant difference between the XTR and XT is the L-shaped nubbin.

I've now Dremelled it out and the shifter does indeed operate with two shifts per stroke, both fore and aft. My XTR still feels more precise at the point where the mechanism engages and has a notably lighter feel (how easy it is to operate), which I presume comes from the multi-bearing support of, what would appear to be, an otherwise identical shifting mechanism.

I'm going to run the M770 for a few days and see how it goes, but I really see no reason why I should encounter any problems. Thanks again What&son, a truly top tip!

the catalan connection
    Nice Steve! Glad to hear it worked. This side by side pic speaks a thousand words...
    Would be nice if you can confirm a couple things:
    -Are you also able to push forward the release lever up to an awkward 3d click sometimes? (likely to happen at the middle of cog range)
    -Did you need to remove anything else besides de lower casing? If not, that´s a 15 minutes nice upgrade! Not bad.
    Cheers

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    Well this is interesting... make sure to give us an update in a few days time on how they are performing. Thanks for doin this experiment

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks, Mr What&son!
    you've made a day for a lot of russian bikers!

works perfectly!

singletrack mind
    that, what&son, is a heroic post. all done in about 15-20 minutes, seems to work perfectly, and if the rain holds off tonight it'll be mountain tested in the morning.

thank you.
    Alas, that the longest hill
    Must end in a vale

Henry Charles Beeching 1859-1919

mtbr member
    I did mine last night. Took about 5 minutes. Remove 4 screws, pop off the cover, then dremmel the "L" shaped section off, and reassemble. I went on a ride last night and it worked perfectly (except for me not being used to having 2 clicks, and accidentally shifting twice when I didn't mean to).

Proud bike-o-holic
    I think I don´t unerstand this modification, I´m a little slow sometimes, I know :-)
    Are you saying that with this modification you can make 2 gear shifts if you keep pushing the lever after you make one shift?
    I don´t know if I´m getting this right because I have also an 770 shifter and with the one on the right I can make 2 shifts if I push the lever a little bit more after the first shift.
    Has the design been changed now or am I getting things the wrong way?
    Regards

...idios...
    "I think I don´t unerstand this modification..."

It's a modification for the upshift (release) capabilities only. The M770 has single release, so the upper lever will (should!!) only allow one upshift per stroke. The M970 shifter has multi-release, so the upper lever will allow two upshifts per stroke.

aw fiddlestix
    I might have to try this...
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

singletrack mind
    so, my experience to date:

mostly you get two clicks and it is quite nice, but sometimes (maybe about one time in ten) you only get one.

occasionally, using the thumb to shift, i do get three clicks, but not too often.
    sometimes the second click only comes when you hold the shifter fully extended for a second or so.

this irregularity is a bit off-putting, because expecting two but only getting one (or even getting three) is worse than knowing you just have one and shifting accordingly. also, i 'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, as if it's just me i might open it up again and try to do a cleaner job and maybe check for crap in the mechanism.

all in all i think it's probably an improvement though. it's fun to do, and so far i don't regret it. if it's your only shifter maybe a wait a couple of weeks to see how it's working for other people, as from my experience while you'll probably like it, it doesn't seem totally free of drawbacks
    Must end in a vale

mtbr member
    So far I am getting the definite 2 clicks every shift. You might have to go back in and make sure its a nice clean cut of the tab.
    cheers
    Pagey

the catalan connection
    Seadna:
    I´m not understanding what´s exactly happening to yours. You get only one click sometimes? Is that when pulling or pushing? That´s odd.I assume you have enlarged the stroke window as well... I would double check inside as suggested and relube throughout.Have you seen the mechanichal "nature" of the double release function? These rocking plates and levers look pretty sensible to lube (or lack of it)...
    Only drawback (If I had to tell one) I´ve found on mine is the third "click" when pushing as you also reported.But that´s not bothering me at all. I just don´t go for it and we leave each other alone.
    I also can´t see a reason why these may not hold up well. I would say that "L" has been put there more becouse of marketing and product policy than for any real mechanical reason.
    I haven´t put many miles on them though.One 2-3 hours ride so far (I was moving to another appartemnt this weekend, and couldn´t ride) But I´ll keep you updated after giving them further trashing.
    Cheers, and thanks for all the compliments I´ve read around here.It´s a pleasure to share this with you

singletrack mind
    yeah, i enlarged the stroke window, so that's not the problem. if you guys are getting two clicks every time it seems likely that there's a bit of gunk in the mechanism, so i'll open it up again, clean it out and add some lube.

the third click is less of an issue, because it is pretty easy to avoid.

thanks for getting back to me what&son
    Must end in a vale

Proud bike-o-holic
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    "I think I don´t unerstand this modification..."

It's a modification for the upshift (release) capabilities only. The M770 has single release, so the upper lever will (should!!) only allow one upshift per stroke. The M970 shifter has multi-release, so the upper lever will allow two upshifts per stroke.
    Ok thanks for the explanation, somehow I am able to make 2 shifts on my M770. I wonder if the design was changed in order to allow this.
    Regards

g3h6o3
    Did anybody check out the SLX to see if they could be modified the same way? I could check mine but I'm off for the weekend so maybe next week if nobody did it.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    how did you guys get the rubber dust shield back in and get the case tight? I'm having problems with the return when the dust shield is in there...

mtbr member
    Figured it out

aw fiddlestix
    so how is this working for everybody?
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    This is working just great. Been running if for about 12 rides now and no issues.
    cheers
    Pagey

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast