Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    the catalan connection

Listen! How to convert new 770 XT shifters into “multi release”…easily! Who needs XTR??

I was checking the internals of my XT 770 shifters when I came across something you might like to hear.
    I was with the right shifter on my hand with the covers removed just clicking back and forth when suddently clicked twice the release lever! That´s correct, the release black upper lever that is supposed to just click once per stroke, was making a second click if I pushed it further (see first 3 pics)The click was neat, fresh, as good as the first, in both directions…
    Since the shifter cover was removed, the only thing stopping the lever from moving to the second click was obviously on the plastic cover. I was afraid some major damage to the cover would be needed if I wanted to keep that new multi release discovery moving, probably rendering the cover useless…But I was lucky…
    See, I first mounted the upper cover back (which is a pain to disassemble) and the upper lever was still “multi release” as good as before, so the “stopper” was not there (so you won´t have to disassemble it if going to do this…) Then I went for the lower cover and there it was. A “L” shaped plastic wall was locking the movement of a small secondary racket pivot that rotates as you push the lever (see pics). It looks like its there just to stop that pivot, and that´s it. It has no structural function other than that. Good. A sharp cutter easily took care of that. It was super easy as the plastic is rather “rubbery” compared to other shimano shifter covers, and had some “butter” feel as I sliced through it. Next trimed wider the window along wich the lever moves as it is actuated. Even easier. Maybe a couple mm per side, if not less, did the job (last pic shows everything trimmed) Fitted back the cover, all bolts went back in perfectly, and…VOILA! My shifters are now multi release!
    Guarantee is void, sure, but the modification is very small compared to what I get.
    I have ridden it once since the modification, so I can´t tell about reliability…but so far works as good as before. The second click is as firm and well defined as the first. Just a detail: There is a solid stop as I try to go even further the second click when pulling the lever (towards me), but when I push it (away from me) beyond that second click, that solid stop is not there. While on the stand, I have managed to do a rather undefined third click pushing a bit harder (and released three gears), but when riding, pushing that third click is pretty out of my thumb reach anyway, so no big deal. No clearance issues either(I run xtr disc levers)
    Major skills are not required IMO, but minimum care is necessary. Removing the lower cover is tricky, but not a nightmare as the upper, and as I said, is made of very flexible plastic, couldn´t imagine how to brake it. I can´t remember if it´s even necessary to unscrew the barrel adjuster from the shifter, but the cable is certainly not necessary to be removed, which is good. I´m not sure either if the adjustable clamp has to be disassembled from the shifter too…sorry, I took everything apart becouse I was going for something else when I started.
    My advice? You can try this: Remove the lower cover (which shouldn´t void guarantees if done carefuly) and actuate the upper release lever. If you like it, go ahead. If you don´t, fit it back.
    I´m starting to like these shifters more
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by What&son; 08-24-2009 at 03:12 AM.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

...idios...
    I have a 770 shifter sitting in my parts box. I shall be testing this information and butchering it as soon as I get home! Excellent tip, thanks.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I wonder if that applies to SLX as well. I'd love to upgrade my secondary mountain bike to multi-release, but would be reluctant to leave it locked up in public with XTR shift pods on it, even if I could afford another set of XTRs.

Anyway, if it works, I nominate it for Best Shifter Hack EVAR

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    I have a 770 shifter sitting in my parts box. I shall be testing this information and butchering it as soon as I get home! Excellent tip, thanks.
    Enjoy it! And please, keep us updated...so far I´m the only one I know that has gone through it...I´m curious to see how it works for others.

cheers
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    I wonder if that applies to SLX as well. I'd love to upgrade my secondary mountain bike to multi-release, but would be reluctant to leave it locked up in public with XTR shift pods on it, even if I could afford another set of XTRs.

Anyway, if it works, I nominate it for Best Shifter Hack EVAR
    That SLX would be worth checking indeed. Mmm...I wonder if we are ruining next year´s shimano upgrades here...

MTB B'dos
    You know they say there's trickle down, bugt maybe this is SHimano's cheapie way to make the MUCH more expensive XTRs have a feature over the much more reasonable XTs I have a set of the LXs, so I'll be taking a look see on if this mod will work on them also.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

...idios...
    Here are the two lower portions of the shifter casings...

multishift.jpg

Just as What&son surmised, the significant difference between the XTR and XT is the L-shaped nubbin.

I've now Dremelled it out and the shifter does indeed operate with two shifts per stroke, both fore and aft. My XTR still feels more precise at the point where the mechanism engages and has a notably lighter feel (how easy it is to operate), which I presume comes from the multi-bearing support of, what would appear to be, an otherwise identical shifting mechanism.

I'm going to run the M770 for a few days and see how it goes, but I really see no reason why I should encounter any problems. Thanks again What&son, a truly top tip!

Diogenes

the catalan connection
    Nice Steve! Glad to hear it worked. This side by side pic speaks a thousand words...
    Would be nice if you can confirm a couple things:
    -Are you also able to push forward the release lever up to an awkward 3d click sometimes? (likely to happen at the middle of cog range)
    -Did you need to remove anything else besides de lower casing? If not, that´s a 15 minutes nice upgrade! Not bad.
    Cheers

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    Well this is interesting... make sure to give us an update in a few days time on how they are performing. Thanks for doin this experiment

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks, Mr What&son!
    you've made a day for a lot of russian bikers!

works perfectly!

singletrack mind
    that, what&son, is a heroic post. all done in about 15-20 minutes, seems to work perfectly, and if the rain holds off tonight it'll be mountain tested in the morning.

thank you.
    Alas, that the longest hill
    Must end in a vale

Henry Charles Beeching 1859-1919

mtbr member
    I did mine last night. Took about 5 minutes. Remove 4 screws, pop off the cover, then dremmel the "L" shaped section off, and reassemble. I went on a ride last night and it worked perfectly (except for me not being used to having 2 clicks, and accidentally shifting twice when I didn't mean to).

Proud bike-o-holic
    I think I don´t unerstand this modification, I´m a little slow sometimes, I know :-)
    Are you saying that with this modification you can make 2 gear shifts if you keep pushing the lever after you make one shift?
    I don´t know if I´m getting this right because I have also an 770 shifter and with the one on the right I can make 2 shifts if I push the lever a little bit more after the first shift.
    Has the design been changed now or am I getting things the wrong way?
    Regards

...idios...
    "I think I don´t unerstand this modification..."

It's a modification for the upshift (release) capabilities only. The M770 has single release, so the upper lever will (should!!) only allow one upshift per stroke. The M970 shifter has multi-release, so the upper lever will allow two upshifts per stroke.

Diogenes

I miss f88
    I might have to try this...
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

singletrack mind
    so, my experience to date:

mostly you get two clicks and it is quite nice, but sometimes (maybe about one time in ten) you only get one.

occasionally, using the thumb to shift, i do get three clicks, but not too often.
    sometimes the second click only comes when you hold the shifter fully extended for a second or so.

this irregularity is a bit off-putting, because expecting two but only getting one (or even getting three) is worse than knowing you just have one and shifting accordingly. also, i 'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, as if it's just me i might open it up again and try to do a cleaner job and maybe check for crap in the mechanism.

all in all i think it's probably an improvement though. it's fun to do, and so far i don't regret it. if it's your only shifter maybe a wait a couple of weeks to see how it's working for other people, as from my experience while you'll probably like it, it doesn't seem totally free of drawbacks
    Must end in a vale

mtbr member
    So far I am getting the definite 2 clicks every shift. You might have to go back in and make sure its a nice clean cut of the tab.
    cheers
    Pagey

the catalan connection
    Seadna:
    I´m not understanding what´s exactly happening to yours. You get only one click sometimes? Is that when pulling or pushing? That´s odd.I assume you have enlarged the stroke window as well... I would double check inside as suggested and relube throughout.Have you seen the mechanichal "nature" of the double release function? These rocking plates and levers look pretty sensible to lube (or lack of it)...
    Only drawback (If I had to tell one) I´ve found on mine is the third "click" when pushing as you also reported.But that´s not bothering me at all. I just don´t go for it and we leave each other alone.
    I also can´t see a reason why these may not hold up well. I would say that "L" has been put there more becouse of marketing and product policy than for any real mechanical reason.
    I haven´t put many miles on them though.One 2-3 hours ride so far (I was moving to another appartemnt this weekend, and couldn´t ride) But I´ll keep you updated after giving them further trashing.
    Cheers, and thanks for all the compliments I´ve read around here.It´s a pleasure to share this with you

singletrack mind
    yeah, i enlarged the stroke window, so that's not the problem. if you guys are getting two clicks every time it seems likely that there's a bit of gunk in the mechanism, so i'll open it up again, clean it out and add some lube.

the third click is less of an issue, because it is pretty easy to avoid.

thanks for getting back to me what&son
    Must end in a vale

Proud bike-o-holic
    "I think I don´t unerstand this modification..."

It's a modification for the upshift (release) capabilities only. The M770 has single release, so the upper lever will (should!!) only allow one upshift per stroke. The M970 shifter has multi-release, so the upper lever will allow two upshifts per stroke.
    Ok thanks for the explanation, somehow I am able to make 2 shifts on my M770. I wonder if the design was changed in order to allow this.
    Regards

g3h6o3
    Did anybody check out the SLX to see if they could be modified the same way? I could check mine but I'm off for the weekend so maybe next week if nobody did it.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    how did you guys get the rubber dust shield back in and get the case tight? I'm having problems with the return when the dust shield is in there...

mtbr member
    Figured it out

I miss f88
    so how is this working for everybody?
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    This is working just great. Been running if for about 12 rides now and no issues.
    cheers
    Pagey

the catalan connection
    Perfect, no problem at all.
    A couple mtn rides (3-4 hours each) and some commuting.(multi release is nice for the sudden and frequent traffic speed changes too).
    cheers

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I took out the 4 screws holding the bottom cover, but was afraid to force it off over the silver lever. Is this how all of you removed the cover, by a little bit of force?

mtbr member
    There was a tab that was rectangular, I lifted that and removed the cover while I was turning the cover. It came off fairly easily, although it did take a little effort.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    Sweet! I did have to manipulate the cover a bit but finally got it off. I cut then dremeled the tab out and it works great!

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son
    I was checking the internals of my XT 770 shifters when I came across something you might like to hear.
    I was with the right shifter on my hand with the covers removed just clicking back and forth when suddently clicked twice the release lever! That´s correct, the release black upper lever that is supposed to just click once per stroke, was making a second click if I pushed it further (see first 3 pics)The click was neat, fresh, as good as the first, in both directions…
    Since the shifter cover was removed, the only thing stopping the lever from moving to the second click was obviously on the plastic cover. I was afraid some major damage to the cover would be needed if I wanted to keep that new multi release discovery moving, probably rendering the cover useless…But I was lucky…
    See, I first mounted the upper cover back (which is a pain to disassemble) and the upper lever was still “multi release” as good as before, so the “stopper” was not there (so you won´t have to disassemble it if going to do this…) Then I went for the lower cover and there it was. A “L” shaped plastic wall was locking the movement of a small secondary racket pivot that rotates as you push the lever (see pics). It looks like its there just to stop that pivot, and that´s it. It has no structural function other than that. Good. A sharp cutter easily took care of that. It was super easy as the plastic is rather “rubbery” compared to other shimano shifter covers, and had some “butter” feel as I sliced through it. Next trimed wider the window along wich the lever moves as it is actuated. Even easier. Maybe a couple mm per side, if not less, did the job (last pic shows everything trimmed) Fitted back the cover, all bolts went back in perfectly, and…VOILA! My shifters are now multi release!
    Guarantee is void, sure, but the modification is very small compared to what I get.
    I have ridden it once since the modification, so I can´t tell about reliability…but so far works as good as before. The second click is as firm and well defined as the first. Just a detail: There is a solid stop as I try to go even further the second click when pulling the lever (towards me), but when I push it (away from me) beyond that second click, that solid stop is not there. While on the stand, I have managed to do a rather undefined third click pushing a bit harder (and released three gears), but when riding, pushing that third click is pretty out of my thumb reach anyway, so no big deal. No clearance issues either(I run xtr disc levers)
    Major skills are not required IMO, but minimum care is necessary. Removing the lower cover is tricky, but not a nightmare as the upper, and as I said, is made of very flexible plastic, couldn´t imagine how to brake it. I can´t remember if it´s even necessary to unscrew the barrel adjuster from the shifter, but the cable is certainly not necessary to be removed, which is good. I´m not sure either if the adjustable clamp has to be disassembled from the shifter too…sorry, I took everything apart becouse I was going for something else when I started.
    My advice? You can try this: Remove the lower cover (which shouldn´t void guarantees if done carefuly) and actuate the upper release lever. If you like it, go ahead. If you don´t, fit it back.
    I´m starting to like these shifters more
    Cheers

How much or the outer case had to be shaves off? It looks like only about 1-2mm.

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    How much or the outer case had to be shaves off? It looks like only about 1-2mm.
    You mean the window for the lever stroke? Not much, but I can´t tell how much exactly took off. Just trimed away what was necessary until clearance was fine.Yet probably correct,1-2mm is a guess. Maybe someone else kept precise record of that so you can skip the try and error process.Anyone?

g3h6o3
    Still no update on SLX shifters? Ok then I'm taking the lead and will check it out + film it all and upload on youtube.

Will post back soon!

weekend warrior
    after the mod, is it still able to do one click per shift?

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by chek
    after the mod, is it still able to do one click per shift?
    It gives the choice of one click or two (ie one shift or two). It's an additional feature rather than an alternative.

Diogenes

g3h6o3
    SLX can't be "hacked" I opened mine up yesterday and took some pics. Will post them tonight.

g3h6o3
    Here are the picture I took
    1) The SLX shifters cover
    2) The lever at rest
    3) The lever pushed all the way.

There's absolutely no way this lever goes more than 1 click!
    Attached Images Attached Images

...idios...
    "There's absolutely no way this lever goes more than 1 click!"

Wow, the guts of the SLX are significantly different to the XT and XTR. Could you post a couple of pictures from a little further out, so that the whole mechanism is visible?

Diogenes

the catalan connection
    [QUOTE=There's absolutely no way this lever goes more than 1 click![/QUOTE]

That´s what it looks like, confined in its stroke. Bad luck. The only thing that comes to mind is to try to disengage the internals from the upper case and see if anything changes (i.e. you can click twice) If not, I wouldn´t go further.Probably the 2nd click is not even there, internals look too different from the little I can tell from the pics, so I wouldn´t go nuts trying to find a way to set it free.

g3h6o3
    "There's absolutely no way this lever goes more than 1 click!"

Wow, the guts of the SLX are significantly different to the XT and XTR. Could you post a couple of pictures from a little further out, so that the whole mechanism is visible?
    Clearly a completely new design. To be able to push the lever further we would have to dismantle that pin that you can see in the last 2 pictures. And then it doesn't seem to have the ability to get 2 ticks anyways.

I could reopen it to post complete pics.

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    I could reopen it to post complete pics.
    Don't trouble yourself - I have a Saint (M810) in my box at home and I have a feeling that the insides are going to be quite similar. I'll pull that apart to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks, though.

Diogenes

Proud bike-o-holic
    Hey guys, have any of you tried the XTR and XT shifters? if so, is buying the XTR worth the $$ difference as to getting the XT? (taking into consideration performance, price, weight, materials, etc). And also, the XTR doesn´t have the gear display, so I don´t know if not having it is a drawback or if you get use to not having it.

Thanks.

...idios...
    "Hey guys, have any of you tried the XTR and XT shifters?"

Yes, I have the XTR on one bike, the XT on my other.

"if so, is buying the XTR worth the $$ difference as to getting the XT?"

If money were no object, I'd take the XTR every time. It has a notably lighter feel/operation than the XT.

"And also, the XTR doesn´t have the gear display?"

No. I think the idea is that by the time you get to the level where you use race gear (XTRace) you know which gear you're in.

Diogenes

g3h6o3
    Gear display is always in the way of putting your brake levers on the inside so you can get 1 finger braking.

I cut my old LX gear display into pieces, and filled the void with epoxy so I could get 1 finger braking!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can also just unscrew the LX gear displays and cover the resulting holes with electrical tape. I've done so and works just fine....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewtucker
    You can also just unscrew the LX gear displays and cover the resulting holes with electrical tape. I've done so and works just fine....
    i did the same with my deores. LOL

mtbr member
    Hehe very nice piece of detective work.

It's sad that the functionality is already there, but Shimano would rather spend extra money to disable it by adding the extra bits of plastic, rather than just let people enjoy the benefits. Lame asses!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewtucker
    XT and SLX come with covers hidden behind the display that cover the hole.

mtbr member
    Finally got a chance to do this mod, working great! I nominate this for best tech post of the year

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    WOW! Thanks for posting this! I have performed this mod and ridden on it for several days now. No problems at all and the shifting has been spot on whether grabbing for one gear or two. For those without a dremel, I used a fresh razor blade and was able to neatly trim the stop off and trim the opening for the shift lever in about 10 minutes. The plastic really is soft.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    WOW! Great post guys! Stupid question. Is there an easy way or trick to get that bottom cover off? When I reticently went to take my M770's apart for a cleaning it seemed the bottom cover was not coming off unless the silver lever was removed (which I know is not happening).

I'm doing this mod ASAP since I use a rapid rise RD. Now I'll be able to downshift 2 clicks at a time!

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Purposeful downgrade/crippling is not unheard of in all industries. Intel did this with P4 and Celeron chips (P4 chips that didn't meet QC were turned into Celerons by disabling a few pipelines/less cache), Canon with the 10D and Digital Rebel (same electronics, cheaper casing, disabled certain functions in firmware, which was later hacked back out) and probably lots of other consumer products out there.

Shimano already had the XTR design so make a new case, substitute some parts like bearings v bushings, fully adjustable clamp v two position clamp, less finish work, add a gear indicator and cripple multi-release. There's your XT. No need to spend extra R&D money to make a new shifter except for the new case and indicator.

Would I take a Modded XT over XTR? No not really on my race bike. XTR action feels a lot better than the XT and not too much more expensive. Though I would get XT for any of my secondary/beater bikes and do the mod.

But if you want to do this mod, I would suggest buying some shifters sooner than later. When the public catches wind of crippled products and how to restore functionality, more often than not, the company may release a running change to make sure it doesn't happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitropowered
    Would I take a Modded XT over XTR? No not really on my race bike. XTR action feels a lot better than the XT and not too much more expensive. Though I would get XT for any of my secondary/beater bikes and do the mod.
    I'm not sure where your getting XTR, but XTR shifters are almost twice as expensive as XT...

the catalan connection
    To Nickbee:
    Yes, it´s a bit tricky. It has to rotate a bit as you pull it away.No big deal though, plastic is super flexy. Play with it with no fear.
    Yet not sure 100% (can´t remember) I think you´ll have to disengage it from the multi position clamp as well.
    Good luck!

Training for vacation
    +1
    Yea the lower comes off easier when the silver lever is pushed forward all the way as if shifting. I did have to muscle mine over the lever and I was i bit worried that I was going to crack the plastic cover. Too lazy to hook up the dremel I found success with a hobby knife /razor.

Thanks for the tip What. Sweet 5 min mod!

mtbr member
    There gonna come after you.
    God is love

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by minotro
    There gonna come after you.
    You mean...to hire me??

mtbr member
    Yeah maybe, hire you to delete this.
    God is love

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Bump!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I did this Mod over the weekend while putting on a fresh set of Gore sealed cables. Having multi release is great for me since I use an XTR rapid rise RD. Now I can double click to downshift two cogs at a time. And it works great. I was thinking about upgrading to XTR shifters at some point but now I don't see the need to.

I used an xacto / straight razor blade and a pair of diagonal cutters to remove the L. I opened the shifter window by 2-3mm and it was plenty to not get in the way. I can click once or twice now with reliability!

Thanks to all that posted on this!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Has anyone looked inside the saint shifters to see if this would work?

the catalan connection
    Don´t know about the Saint, but I was wondering if the newer 10 speed DynaSys shifters can be modifyed too. If the shimano web info is correct, they don´t come with multi release either this year...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks What&son! Mod took about 5 minutes and works well. What a great thread!

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by rrdiaz30
    Thanks What&son! Mod took about 5 minutes and works well. What a great thread!
    You´re welcome!
    Soon will be already a year the mod. is out and none has reported a single problem over time. Nice

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The only thing I have noticed is that at times I push on the thumb lever and it does not engage. If I push on the lever again it engages. Seems the detent is stuck between engagement points.

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead451
    The only thing I have noticed is that at times I push on the thumb lever and it does not engage. If I push on the lever again it engages. Seems the detent is stuck between engagement points.
    The bottom lever is not connected with the mod, so your problem lies elsewhere.

Diogenes

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The bottom lever is not connected with the mod, so your problem lies elsewhere.

Excepting the fact that the case was opened...therefore look for same shavings in the mechanism or lack or excess of grease in one some key location...

Try opening the cable insert port and blowing a shot of compressed air in there...

If you ride in the winter try a small shot of WD-40 followed several seconds later by a shot of compressed air....keeps the water out to prevent freezing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Actually it is related to the mod.

...idios...
    Actually it is related to the mod.
    Only for the reason Jeff mentions above. The extra piece of plastic on the XT only inhibits the movement of the upper lever. Granted, this can be moved with one's thumb, but you're referring to the larger, bottom lever; yes?

Diogenes

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Only for the reason Jeff mentions above. The extra piece of plastic on the XT only inhibits the movement of the upper lever. Granted, this can be moved with one's thumb, but you're referring to the larger, bottom lever; yes?

The mechanism sometimes sticks after using the top lever causing the lower lever to not engage if pushed. There are not detents for the two positions. If you move the top lever just past one click, it does sometimes hang in between the two gears and if the bottom lever is then pushed the other way, the lever is in a "ghost" position.

The shifter didn't do this before. And before people go on and on about this or that, the mod was done perfectly and there are no chips inside the mechanism. The plastic cover wasn't even attached when worked on. It's not a perfect mod. Sorry.

the catalan connection
    If you move the top lever just past one click, it does sometimes hang in between the two gears.
    Strange.Does it happen also with the cover removed? If not, you know where the problem is, or at least, where is not. If it still sticks even without cover I would try what Jeffscott said, full clean and relube. Is the "standard" procedure when a shifter lever or pawl doesn´t move back.

And before people go on and on about this or that, the mod was done perfectly and there are no chips inside the mechanism.
    We´re just trying to help. I guess we´ll just stay away then.

It's not a perfect mod. Sorry.
    Well, as I said in the first post, I was afraid of having a lever moving beyond what it was designed for in the first place. But after a few mods were performed, it began to be more and more obvious for most of us here that shimano had just "locked" the multi release function of the xt shifters just to keep it lower level than the xtr units. And that´s what I still think. Also, is not a pefect shifter to begin with. When I first disassembled them, I was actually trying to find out why the lower lever was so stiff at the last part of its stroke...I still have to find why, but after the mod, there is an extra feature that makes me like this shifters more. It is perfect for me, sorry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son
    We´re just trying to help. I guess we´ll just stay away then.
    That's funny. People were pretty quick to jump on me about my observations and experience with this mod. I wasn't even soliciting help just commenting. I was a machinist by trade.

...idios...
    That's funny. People were pretty quick to jump on me about my observations and experience with this mod.
    I didn't jump on you, I oppugned your assertion. That's what happens when people disagree. If you think that you can demonstrate that the mod caused your problem, then spell it out for us all; but just saying "Actually it is related to the mod." is not really any different to saying "it is because I say it is".

Diogenes

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I didn't jump on you, I oppugned your assertion. That's what happens when people disagree. If you think that you can demonstrate that the mod caused your problem, then spell it out for us all; but just saying "Actually it is related to the mod." is not really any different to saying "it is because I say it is".
    How can you disagree with something you've never even seen? I got it, it's called arrogance.

I had already explained what was happening and you said it wasn't related. You are wrong. It's real simple. Did you design either the XT or XTR shift mechanisms?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    from my first post:

"Seems the detent is stuck between engagement points. "

It only happens every once in a while.

Would I mod the shifter again? Yes! I would.

...idios...
    How can you disagree with something you've never even seen? I got it, it's called arrogance. I had already explained what was happening and you said it wasn't related.
    I'll forgive you your petulance. If you can explain how the mod causes "the detent [to be] stuck between engagement points", then I'll gladly be schooled. Unless your XT shifter is entirely different to the three I've modded here, I have, for all intents and purposes, seen yours.

Diogenes

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'll forgive you your petulance. If you can explain how the mod causes "the detent [to be] stuck between engagement points", then I'll gladly be schooled. Unless your XT shifter is entirely different to the three I've modded here, I have, for all intents and purposes, seen yours.

Get over yourself.

...idios...
    Get over yourself.
    Does that mean that you can't explain your explanation?

Diogenes

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does that mean that you can't explain your explanation?
    Another MTBR victory for you?

...idios...
    Absolutely not. I'd rather have learned how the mod could cause the shifter to malfunction.

Diogenes

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I know why it sticks after having taken it apart and inspecting. Why would I bother continuing this with you after how arrogant you've acted? Forget it.

...idios...
    I know why it sticks after having taken it apart and inspecting. Why would I bother continuing this with you after how arrogant you've acted? Forget it.
    What if I promise to never come back to this thread? Will you tell everyone else? Or have they been naughty too?

Diogenes

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What if I promise to never come back to this thread? Will you tell everyone else? Or have they been naughty too?
    Really why would I bother?

g3h6o3
    dirthead or di**head...

Hooooo easy one!

...idios...
    Really why would I bother?
    Is that a rhetorical question?

Diogenes

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    TTT

Finally got around to enabling the multi release function on my wifes XT770 rear shift pod.

Cool.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    hey

I would like to have my XTR shifter in single release mode

Is that possible ?

Thanks

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Excellent! I bought a saint RD for my DH rig but got the XT shifter as they were stupid cheap at the time (3x more for XTR, 2x for Saint). I had thought the XT had multi-release, so I was disappointed when I found out it didn't (my XC bike with XTR has it, so it's missed). 10 minutes while I was at work and I have the feature I was missing ... and for free! thanks, what a cool mod.
    Last edited by ettore; 01-04-2011 at 04:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Sweet, Just did the mod myself, super easy! This is something ive been really wanting, thanks What&son!
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice One

mtbr member
    stick it
    Daccordi - Attila
    Cinelli - Freedom Rider
    Paduano - Caligola

mtbr member
    Anyone done this mod to a 10 sped shifter yet?

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?Item=100047023

Just wondering if someone already did it or not.

mtbr member
    Bump on the question - Has anyone done this on the XT dynasys 10 speed shifter?
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ok, thanks for bump, nice to find out about this mod.

THANKS

Save Jesus
    So I was playing around with my 9 speed XT shifters with the lid off. It seems to have the issue where sometimes it will go click-click and shift twice, and other times, it will go click-crunch and shift 3 spots. How often do you guys get the accidental 3 shifts? I was thinking of drilling some small holes in the cover and adding a stopper block to make sure the shift lever only goes 2 clicks worth and not any further.

Class Clown
    anyone have a look at LX shifters or are they completely different?

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag
    So I was playing around with my 9 speed XT shifters with the lid off. It seems to have the issue where sometimes it will go click-click and shift twice, and other times, it will go click-crunch and shift 3 spots. How often do you guys get the accidental 3 shifts? I was thinking of drilling some small holes in the cover and adding a stopper block to make sure the shift lever only goes 2 clicks worth and not any further.
    Copy-pasted from the first post:
    "Just a detail: There is a solid stop as I try to go even further the second click when pulling the lever (towards me), but when I push it (away from me) beyond that second click, that solid stop is not there. While on the stand, I have managed to do a rather undefined third click pushing a bit harder (and released three gears), but when riding, pushing that third click is pretty out of my thumb reach anyway, so no big deal."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey
    Bump on the question - Has anyone done this on the XT dynasys 10 speed shifter?
    My LBS checked it out after I showed them my 9spd pods and they said it the design was different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just did the mod on my XT 770 shifters, and it works great. There are a couple things I can add to the discussion:

- I did not need to enlarge the stroke window. I can double-release just fine in both directions with the window as-is.

- With the lid off, I was playing around with going past the double-release when pushing forward with the thumb. I was able to push the lever past the point of no return, and the lever got jammed. In case this happens to anyone else, it's possible to un-jam the lever by pushing the internal lever (the one with the pin that the L tries to stop) in the direction of releasing a gear, while moving the external lever around until it's finally able to come back into its proper position. Note that with the lid in place, the lid prevents the external lever from being pushed so far that it gets jammed. I also observed that my lid has a tiny boss on it that prevents the possibility of a third release. I did not see this boss in the photos of other people's lids in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeCRX View Post
    - With the lid off, I was playing around with going past the double-release when pushing forward with the thumb. I was able to push the lever past the point of no return, and the lever got jammed.
    You sure you put the rubber dust shield back correctly? I had a similar issue when I did it and that was the cause.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by agabriel View Post
    You sure you put the rubber dust shield back correctly? I had a similar issue when I did it and that was the cause.
    I'm not exactly sure what the rubber dust shield is that you're referring to, but the jamming of the lever only happened with the bottom cover off. There's no problem with everything re-assembled. I just mentioned how to un-jam the lever in case it happens to anyone else.

It highly recommend this mod; it works great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15