mtbr member
    Apr 2006

How to clean your chain?

What is the best way to get your chain clean?

Your bike is incorrigible
    There are two:

Get one of those scrubbing tools from Park or Finish Line that has the rollers the chain runs through. You fill the tool with detergent and back pedal.

The other way is to take the chain off and put it in a tub with some detergent and agitate for a couple of minutes.

I'm not sure which way works best. They both have their merits and detractions. The one thing I know for sure is that Simple Green works exceptionally well as a detergent. I'm amazed at what that stuff can do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had my mechanic install a sram quicklink? so that I could remove chain easily. Scrubbing tools that Guy mentioned do work well also. But, I prefer to remove chain and let it soak in some neutral ph auto parts cleaner, agitating occasionally. Then I drop it in an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner and cycle it several time with a citrus cleaner and then water. I clean chain every 30-40 miles.

I got a question, do you always clean chain before lubing, or do you re-lube chain before each ride, then clean occasionally? I would like to re-lube chain before each ride but I think lube might wash dirt into rollers if its not clean.

local trails rider
    I like to lube my chain AFTER a ride.
    Before lubing I either run the chain through a scrubber or apply some spray lube and wipe the chain with a rag or some paper.

mtbr member
    Good point about lubing after a ride. That way you're good to go and all the carrier has evaporated. Also, make sure if you use a citrus cleaner to rinse well with hot water to remove same. Otherwise your lube will "fling off" and you're left with bare metal.

I Love my Rize

Just use ProLink

Quote Originally Posted by paceac
    What is the best way to get your chain clean?
    After about 2 or 3 applications it will be cleaner than any solvents you can use. Just wipe the chain down good with a rag after every lube. You will never have to clean your chain again as the ProLink will clean and lube it better than anything.

What It Be ?
    I clean chain every 30-40 miles.
    Why? I lube mine every ride. I clean it before every race which depends on when it is. But 30-40 miles thats what 2 rides if that?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I noted that shimano says to use a non-acidic cleaner. I am not sure but I think this eliminates the citric acid based cleaners.

Anyway I use dish detergent in a bucket of water to wipe the chain clean. Then overlube the chain let sit for 5 then wipe off.

The final lube and wipe.

I do this proably twice to three times a week espially after any muddy ride.