mtbr member

How to clean the the bottom bracket properly

HI all,
    I have a GF Hifi that has developed a creak in the bottombracket(?) which is annoying me to pieces....I am going to try to clean and lube up the area with some dry lube to foil the dirt and dust, but first: How do you clean the bottom bracket area? I don't want to disassemble the bike, I just want to rinse the dirt and grime away form the area, but I've read repeatedly not to direct water at your bottom bracket. How do you seasoned experts do this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That would be here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=136309

To do it properly, removing old grease and dirt particles is the first step.

mtbr member
    Before condemning the bottom bracket, remove the pedals and grease the threads and see if that quiets your bike.

As far as cleaning, as a general rule, don't use high pressure water around any of the bearings, be it BB, headset, hubs etc. Most of the time I wait for the mud to dry then brush/wipe it off with a damp rag. If you need to rinse, just let the water flow out of the end of the hose without any nozzle or pressure. And don't forget to remove the seatpost, turn the bike over and drain the water or mud from inside the frame after a wet ride, or cleaning.

Spraying lube in the area probably won't do much, nothing there to lube if it's like the XT outboard bearing setup I have.

Gravity hurts
    +1 For the link on dis-assembly (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=136309), it's much easier than you could imagine. Pick up some grease at your local auto parts store that is waterproof ($6). If you haven't done it, then it needs to be done. I've found that most don't come with enough grease in them to start. You might try cleaning your bike upside down, for day to day cleaning. That way the BB will stay dry, the fork can get some fresh oil to the foam bushings and you can get a better look at the truly dirty side of the bike. Just make sure you don't let your shifters/brake handles sit in a puddle of water.

Ride or die
    When you reassemble, i recommend that you use antisieze on the BB threads instead of grease. Antisieze will stop the creak but won't attract dirt and grime like grease will. Plus water won't faze it. Even using grease the BB threads can seize in harsh conditions.

2 minutes turkish
    sounds like you're going to need to go ahead and pull it apart. That bearing how to looks good. we dropped a video on pulling the whole thing out:

http://www.dirtcartel.com/how-to-vid...bracket-repair