mtbr member

How to chose parts for a drivetrain

Im starting to put together parts to build my first bike (first that i havent bought built) and i have now idea about how to chose drivetrain components or what gearing i should go with, Im thinking 3x10 3x9 or 3x8. im gonna be getting the Santacruz Butcher frame for all mountain/trail/light-intermediate DH, and have no idea what parts to get with all the variety availible. i dont want to spend a ridiculous amount of money, not sure waht a ridiculous amount is yet though... i just would like some recomendations for the: crankset, cassette, front and rear derailleurs, shifters, and the chain, or some tips on picking parts. i was thinking of a raceface crankset and all the rest shimano, but i really dont mind what i get and shimano stuff might add up to be a little pricey for me...maybe not, im not sure
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

Mountain Man Dan
    Shimano LX crankset, Sram x7 shifters, sram x7 rear der, sram x5 front der. Sram pg 950 cassette.( that would be 3x9).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35
    Shimano LX crankset, Sram x7 shifters, sram x7 rear der, sram x5 front der. Sram pg 950 cassette.( that would be 3x9).
    which LX? 582,572,or571?
    the x7 rear derailleur jenson usa lists only as 2x10 compatible (too many choices!!! http://www.jensonusa.com/search/?s=sram+rear+derailleur )
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

Mountain Man Dan
    Here's the crankset. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx

Here's a 9 speed x7. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/199...4%20SRAX70.htm

You could go x9 for some bling but x7 is fine, even x5 is good.

Rub it............
    Shimano crank, either the LX or SLX. Sram X9 shifters, X7 derailleurs, PG980 cassette and an XTR 9 speed chain.

mtbr member
    You could go all SLX for around $375 shipped at Merlin bikes UK. Or you could get the same from Blueskycycling in the US for around $400. That's 3x10. I doubt that this set-up would be too much more expensive than buying the parts mentioned above individually.

mtbr member
    I wish I had more time then until may 20th for that slx deal
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by henry9419
    I wish I had more time then until may 20th for that slx deal
    Yeah, I just went back to Merlinuk and double-checked. The price is actually $327 shipped to your door. That's a pretty incredible deal. But it does take about two weeks to ship. ***Edit: I guess not everybody is getting this deal. Most people are getting a price of $363. I must be getting a better deal because I bought something from Merlin before.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 05-16-2011 at 08:49 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I put a bunch of slx stuff together (crankset, cassette, chain, front derailleur, shifters) and an xt RD and BB on jenson for about $330 a couple weeks ago. If theyre still having the same sales you should be able to get some good deals