mtbr member
    Jun 2011

How to choose a BB?

Trying to learn here. I have an 02 Giant Rincon and I want to replace the bottom bracket. I believe it needs replacing due to a heavy clicking when pedaling. I see on bikepedia that this bike has a sealed cartridge, 68 mm English bb. I have looked on Jenson and Ebay and I don't know what to buy. Some of these have spindles sticking out and some just look like a hollow cylinder. What do I need to look for besides the 68mm English? Can someone please educate me? Thanks so much

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have Suntour XR-182 cranks btw. So I think I need the square taper; I believe this below is something like what I need? Maybe I need to remove the old one to verify the exact size before ordering.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...m+Bracket.aspx

Just a flesh wound
    If your cranks are square taper, then that will work. You just need to confirm the spindle length of the BB on your bike. That will keep the chainline the same. So if your BB has a 113 or 117 mm spindle or whatever length, get the closest you can.

The spindle length and bracket size should be on the body of the BB when you remove it.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    In addition, you'll need a crank arm puller to remove the crank arms and a bottom bracket tool to unscrew the bottom bracket cartridge. You may also need a breaker bar (or long socket wrench) to get enough leverage to loosen the bottom bracket.

It's not overly complicated. But, you may want to search for some YouTube videos or other How-To pages on the process.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks to both of you!!!