mtbr member
    Sep 2009

How can I identify Shimano SIS SP41 gear cable outer?

I've just bought 3m of SIS SP41 but I'm not sure I've been sent the right stuff - it doesn't look quite the same as the pre-cut lengths I've got lying around.

Is there any way to identify SP41 off a reel? The pre-cut lengths all have Shimano SIS SP41 embossed in gold on them, but the long length just has Shimano stamped on it every now and again - no gold writing, and no mention of SP41.

Anyone know if I've been sold the right stuff?

Cheers,
    Jon.

Probably more a case of whether you bought the right stuff rather than someone going wrong in selling you the wrong stuff...

There's not a lot of mystery to cable housing. There's 5mm and 4mm housing, depends on more your preference than anything else. If you're asking this question I'm more wondering if you know how to cut it and install it more than if it's the perfect match to what your bike came with...from what I can see with a brief google the SP 41 is a 4mm housing FWIW.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Why should that fact that I'm not sure how to identify cable housing off a bulk reel mean that I don't know what to buy, don't have the right tools and don't know how to install cables?

Thanks for such a helpful response...

...idios...
    I suspect that the most obvious visual clue would be that the SP41 contains a silicone grease coating. If you poke a cable inside your new stuff, it should come back out with a little white grease on it.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks Steve - it's definitely got grease in it, so I guess SP41 from a bulk reel must just be marked differently to the pre-cut lengths.

...idios...
    Apparently, the 41 may refer to the thickness in millimeters of the housing (link, check Lab Worker's post at #9). The SP41 is for 1.1mm inner cable and is 4.1mm in diameter; the SP50 (standard) is for a 1.2mm inner and is, you guessed it, 5mm in diameter. A digital caliper should clear this up for you...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think Labworker may be wrong about those numbers - I've got the "SIS-SP41 Shift Cable Set" and on the front it says SP41 outer is 4mm diameter, while the inner cable is 1.2mm.

...idios...
    Oh well, back where you started! However...

I've found that SP41 is actually the name of the grease. Further investigation uncovered this from Shimano.