mtbr member
    Feb 2005

how to adjust front derailluer

Can anyone post a link or give instructions how to adjust a Shimano, Deore, front derailluer. I have a relatively new bike, Giant XTC 2, and when shifting the chain has started popping off when going from the middle to the smallest chainrings. It's a 27 speed and the rear is usually in the middle range of the cassette when this happens.

I could take it to the shop, but I like to fix things myself. As for the rear it's an XTR and if you have any pointers for that one I would appreciate it, I caught a rut and went down on the right side the other day and it might be bent in a little.

I tried using the search tool on this site, but kept getting errors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Go to parktool.com and look for their technical section. They have a great tech/setup section and it'll help you perfectly.

-T
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Before I begin tweeking on a derailleur, I like to make sure it was set up correctly from the start.

For a front mech, this entails shifting to the granny ring and disconnecting the cable.

Check the height & alignment by manually extending the cage over the big ring, looking for about 2mm of clearance over the teeth.

Then let it snap back to the low position. With the chain on (but with the cable still disconnected), adjust the 'L' screw so that the inside cage plate barely clears the chain (chain should be in the large rear cog while you're doing this).

Once this adjustment is complete, reconnect the cable, take up any slack using the barrel adjuster, and then begin tweeking a half twist at a time.

As a last step, set your 'H' limit screw with the chain in the small cog.

The rear derailleur is a similar process.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Thanks

All good info. I printed up the responses and went to both parktool.com and also the shimano website and printed up all the derailleur adjustment info. Now all I need is the time to get away from the kids and into the garage to work on my other love.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Forget that, put those brats to work! You'll have a couple of top-drawer bike mechanics in no time flat. Two tool aprons please, size small!

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Yes, and in the time between being kids and mechanics, daddy will have some nice new trinkets that no longer resemble derailers. As well as when he goes out to the garage barefoot, or with socks, keep poking himself with small bits scattered about the floor. Kids love to take things apart, I sure did, just be sure you keep track of all the little bits.

mtbr member
    Here's the Park Tool link for adjusting front derailleurs...
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...railleur.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadghost
    Yes, and in the time between being kids and mechanics, daddy will have some nice new trinkets that no longer resemble derailers. As well as when he goes out to the garage barefoot, or with socks, keep poking himself with small bits scattered about the floor. Kids love to take things apart, I sure did, just be sure you keep track of all the little bits.