PM Me for Wood Fenders

Housing question

Called the LBS to see what they had available for housing. I've temporaryly used the der housing off my trek for my Leader build...just cuz I couldn't wait....The LBS told me that the brake housing is a buck a foot and the der housing is 2 bucks a foot.

What's the difference in the housing?

and yeah, I did a search to look for older threads, I'm sure I'm not the first to ask, but my search turned up nada.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

If you look at the ends....

of the cut cables you'll notice the difference. Brake cable uses a simple flat metal wrap between the liner and the outer casing. It's a bit less flexible than der cable housing, and it doesn't compresses, which is a good thing when you're talking brakes. The compressionless qualities make for a solid feel at the brake lever and more power transfer to the brakes. When you look at the end of derailleur housing you'll notice that there are actually braided wires that run lateraly the length of the housing. This makes the housing more flexible. Some companies twist them along the length of the housing, but it isn't necessary. Derailleurs don't require the "compressionless" properties like brakes do. But they do require flexibility as derailleur cable runs usually require more severe bends than brake cable runs. The twisted wire between the liner and casing is more expensive to produce thus the increased cost. But it's NOT that significant in most cases. At the shop I work at we sell bulk brake and derailleur cable housing for the same price, a buck a foot. Your LBS is probably using a different brand, and perhaps the cost difference between the brake and derailleur housing that they are using is enough to warrant the additional cost.

Anyway that's the difference between the two. Oh and it's not a good idea to use derailleur housing for brakes. The wires that make up the intermediate layer will push out of the housing when used as brake housing. That's another reason for the wound metal in the brake housing.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Cool, great explanation!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    ...Derailleurs don't require the "compressionless" properties like brakes do. But they do require flexibility as derailleur cable runs usually require more severe bends than brake cable runs. The twisted wire between the liner and casing is more expensive to produce thus the increased cost...
    mmm...no. Indexed shifting REQUIRES "compressionless" housing and much more so than brakes. SIS housing is made up of parallel wires running the length of the housing. It is not wound or braided. Jagwire and some others do make derailleur housing that also has a layer of braided or wound wire over the parallel strands to reduce the chance of housing "blow out." No wire-based shift housing is very flexible.

If you use a more compressable flexible housing (like brake housing) for the derailleurs the indexing and shifting performance will suffer greatly.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    So bottom line is just to buck up and use the der housing, because brake is junk for ders....right? So you mentioned jagwire, any others you would recommend?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've tried them all, and I still prefer Shimano XTR shifter cables. Nokon cables turned my xtr v-brakes into MONSTERS! So darn smooth and powerful, and a pinky could lock up the wheels - but on the gears, the nokon's are crap. Don't know why, I've tried everything, but it's just not as I hoped. I put regular xtr shift cables on and perfect shifting has returned.

I like the Shimano kits, around $20 a set, because pieces are precut to get you started (need to trim a bit), all the ferrules are there, and it's just nice and handy to have a set or two in the package ready to go.

Just a thought.