Loving Life

Housing being forced into shifter

I am running all Sram XX and lately I have been constantly having a problem with the shifter housing being forced into the front derailleur shifter body. Basically the cables that makeup the housing are been pushed through the cable end forcing the hole to become bigger and are entering into the shifter body. This ends up causing the housing to become shortened so I can no longer shift into the big ring. When I go to adjust the barrel adjuster to lengthen the housing I cannot turn the barrel adjuster because the housing turns with the adjuster and will not let it turn on it's own due to the cable being in the shifter body.

To fix this I have to cut the end of the housing and put on a new cap. After this happened twice with an Jagwire plastic end cap and again with a Shimano end cap I am not using a metal reducer with a metal end cap on top. So far after 1 ride its been ok but it usually takes 2-3 rides before the problem comes up again.

FWIW I had Jagwire housing and was told by the LBS mechanic to use XTR housing only as it happens a lot to Jagwire housing. After 3 rides it happened again with the XTR housing.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem before and if you have how do you fix it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    do you have caps on the end of the cable???? and try lubing the engs of the cable hoousing so when you turn the barrel it can slip and there will be lest friction. thus making it not turn with the barrel

Picture Unrelated
    I have better results with metal caps than I do with the plastic ones. I bought a bag of 4mm and 5mm metal housing ferrules and replace the plastic ones on both XTR and Jagwire housing with those. It happens, cutting off the strands will keep the housing going for a little longer but eventually any housing will die.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Never trust a fart
    Ditch the plastic ferrules and use the metal ones.