mtbr member
    Jun 2004

horrible horrible

Ok my XT shifters came, and i made a horrible mistake.
    I popped the shifters on my handlebars and shifted to the highest gear in the back(loosest cable position). then i tightened the bolt on the derailleur, securing the cable. I then shifted to the lowest gear(tightest cable position).

Now this is where it gets ugly. The barrel adjuster on the XT shifter wouldnt turn, so what did i do? pair of pliers. Yep. The cable was too tight so i couldnt tighten the barrel adjuster on the shifter. But i didnt know thats why it wouldnt turn. So i crank away, and before i know it the threads are stripped clean.

It was definitely not one of my prouder moments. does anyone know if i can buy just the front shifter pod for the 8 spd xts?

Moral of the story: DONT PLIER THE BARREL ADJUSTERS...EVER

I will look at this as an opportunity to learn and also i now have a shifter part that can be cannaballized for parts, since i've heard they wear out quick. I plan to get another XT deore shifter pod.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

options....

I've got three options for you:

1) get a different sized barrel adjuster; eg brakes. These use a different thread, and you may be able to re-tap the thread for the new one.

2) get over it, and adjust the cable properly. Once it is set right, you don't need a barrel adjuster, so spend an extra 1/2 hour and get it right

3) stick the shifter in an envelop, and post it to me. I'm sure I can do 2) above, so will put it to good use

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Styles
    Ok my XT shifters came, and i made a horrible mistake.
    I popped the shifters on my handlebars and shifted to the highest gear in the back(loosest cable position). then i tightened the bolt on the derailleur, securing the cable. I then shifted to the lowest gear(tightest cable position).

Now this is where it gets ugly. The barrel adjuster on the XT shifter wouldnt turn, so what did i do? pair of pliers. Yep. The cable was too tight so i couldnt tighten the barrel adjuster on the shifter. But i didnt know thats why it wouldnt turn. So i crank away, and before i know it the threads are stripped clean.

It was definitely not one of my prouder moments. does anyone know if i can buy just the front shifter pod for the 8 spd xts?

Moral of the story: DONT PLIER THE BARREL ADJUSTERS...EVER

I will look at this as an opportunity to learn and also i now have a shifter part that can be cannaballized for parts, since i've heard they wear out quick. I plan to get another XT deore shifter pod.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

options?

How do you "retap" the thread with a larger diameter barrel adjuster? This sounds like a good option... do i just use pliers and screw it in or what?

Quote Originally Posted by FredNZ
    I've got three options for you:

1) get a different sized barrel adjuster; eg brakes. These use a different thread, and you may be able to re-tap the thread for the new one.

2) get over it, and adjust the cable properly. Once it is set right, you don't need a barrel adjuster, so spend an extra 1/2 hour and get it right

3) stick the shifter in an envelop, and post it to me. I'm sure I can do 2) above, so will put it to good use

Fred

MattSavage
    How do you "retap" the thread with a larger diameter barrel adjuster? This sounds like a good option... do i just use pliers and screw it in or what?
    Didn't you just say not to use pliers on the barrel adjuster?? EVER!!!!????

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Just fashion up some sort of non-threaded insert to slide in there, and use the barrel adjuster on the derailleur for adjustment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Didn't you just say not to use pliers on the barrel adjuster?? EVER!!!!????
    Hey i never said i was a quick learner....

i figure if theyre already busted then i get to mess around with them...
    Hmmmm. Powertools? Is there some kind of drill bit that i can use to retap threads? maybe just use the slowest speed on cordless drill and some kind of retapping bit.

And Nate, i would like to be able to have full adjustment capabilities of my shifters...otherwise i would do like you said.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Hey i never said i was a quick learner....

i figure if theyre already busted then i get to mess around with them...
    Hmmmm. Powertools? Is there some kind of drill bit that i can use to retap threads? maybe just use the slowest speed on cordless drill and some kind of retapping bit.

And Nate, i would like to be able to have full adjustment capabilities of my shifters...otherwise i would do like you said.
    Chase the threads using a hand operated thread tap. You can probably find the right size bit at Sears or any decent tool store.

Many rear derailleurs no longer come with barrel adjusters because it is redundant to have two. By eliminating the one at the shifter you'd simply be keeping up with the times (assuming your rear mech has one!).