mtbr member

Hope XC or DT Swiss ONYX rear hub

I'm looking to do a wheel build and not sure what rear hub I want to use. I was looking at the ONYX and Hope XC hubs. Does anyone have experience with either of these or any other suggestions that would fall into the same price range of these. I'm kind of the "AM" rider that does a little of most everything. Drops under 5-6 ft., bomb down rocky sections, tech stuff etc. I weigh about 210-220 with gear and want someting that will hold up. Feel free to throw some opinions of those or other hubs that would be equivelant. Thanks

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    You may find that both those hubs won't exactly be up to the task of 4-5ft drops and at your weight...

One option that comes to mind is the Hope Bulb hub, now replaced by the pro2, but you should be able to find it for cheap.

I have not used the Onyx but have heard that the Hope XC is the better hub. I have used the Hope XC hub, but cannot comment on strength as I'm only 130lbs and haven't gone over 2ft drops on that particular bike...

mtbr member
    good to know bike_freak. wasn't sure if either of those would stand up to the abuse. have considered the hope bulb also. was trying to keep price somewhat reasonable, but that may be hard to do. thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have the Hope Bulb hubs on Mavic XM819 Ust rims. I have about 500 miles on them and just cleaned and repacked the rachet area. It still looks new. I love them. I don't due big drops but I suspect they will hold up especially if you are using the thru axel option.

mtbr member
    That's good to know. I just want a durable reliable hub that will hold up to some abuse. I was thinking about the 819s, but I want to run just a little wider rim so that I can run higher volume tires which I really like. So far, I have no pinch flats with them and I run the same air pressure that my friends are all running in their USTs. From the people that I talk to that are running the same tire setup say that they perform better on a wider rim and most all UST rims are narrower. I have narrow rims now and have to watch out for the tire rolling off if my pressure is too low. Just to be safe right now, I am running 35 in the rear and 32 in the front which is still just a little high.

mtbr member
    Definately the hopes. If you can, get the new pro2 design. The reason I say that is I think they are easier to work on yourself. And they perform really well.

I-S
    Magurified
    I have a Magura Gustav front hub (which is an Onyx shell, but apparently with the 340 axle. Made by DT anyhow) and a hope XC rear. The seals on the hope seemed to take a very long time to break in, and still don't spin as freely as the gustav or my previous goldtec front. I'm not sure which I'd choose of the two... probably the DT.

eminence front
    I'd go with the Hope XC, its a suprisingly durable hub. I have yet to break mine riding trials (not trails) and dirt jumping. It has taken abuse, still works as well as it did on day one.

I expect to strip the pawls eventually, but I ride well outside the recommended use of the hub... trials puts a hell of a lot of stress on it.

I can't comment on the ONYX hub as I've never seen one/ridden one. Nobody I know uses a DT swiss hub.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm thinking one of the hopes should be a good choice. Probably go with the pro2 since it is the newer design, I can work on it myself, and they sound pretty reliable and durable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I run ONYX both front and rear laced to Mavic 819's for about six months now. I probably have done about 200 K's on them. I am 150 pounds and won't do anything more than 4 ft drops. I find that engagement a little slow compare to my mate's hope XC's. I bought the ONYX because i had a good deal on them. But if i had the choice i would go for the HOPE's.

I hope this helps

mtbr member
    I think I see hope more and more in my future.......I have a lefty so, I'm just gonna stick to the stock lefty hub as they are pretty good from what I'm told and change the rear.