mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Hope Pro 2 Cassette Compatability

Hi,
    I recently purchased a Hope Pro 2 hub built on a notubes ztr rim. Now that it is here I have tried putting on my sram pg990 hub and realize there is not enough space on the cassette holder (i realize i sort of suck at terminology). On the hub itself it has the letters SS/T and A-T. The cassette holder thing attached to the hub is certainly shorter than ones i have had in the past but not like a single speed would be. Is there a way to know if what i got was for a specific cassette? Saint perhaps? thanks for any ideas. I also realize that i have been an idiot for ordering this thing as i live in Kenya and the idea of sending anyting back hurts bad.
    cheers, Jamie

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by karisia_safaris
    Hi,
    I recently purchased a Hope Pro 2 hub built on a notubes ztr rim. Now that it is here I have tried putting on my sram pg990 hub and realize there is not enough space on the cassette holder (i realize i sort of suck at terminology). On the hub itself it has the letters SS/T and A-T. The cassette holder thing attached to the hub is certainly shorter than ones i have had in the past but not like a single speed would be. Is there a way to know if what i got was for a specific cassette? Saint perhaps? thanks for any ideas. I also realize that i have been an idiot for ordering this thing as i live in Kenya and the idea of sending anyting back hurts bad.
    cheers, Jamie
    Sounds like you do have the trials/single speed hub. It is possible to put 6 cogs with 9-speed spacing on it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

You got the...

Signle Speed/Trials hub as Shiggy noted. Unfortunately theres no way to put a PG990 or other 9 speed cassette on the freehub body. As noted you can go with a custom stacked, 9 speed spaced, 6 cog set up with it, but not a 9 speed cassette.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Thanks

Thanks Guys. I was afraid of that. Dealing with order mess-ups from Africa is way more difficult than from within the states. Maybe its a good time to build up a single speed and have the normal hope pro 2 hub sent out for a wheel re-build.
    i must say though that so many websites make ordering bike equipment tricky. on the notubes website the options were :

Hope Pro 2 135mm 6 bolt SS
    or just
    Hope Pro 2 135mm

I chose the first without knowing what SS stands for because i thought i wanted 6bolt rather than some kind of locking mechanism. While i'm relatively mechanical, I'm not as fluent in bike talk as others. I think more companies should spell out the differences so that the more simple people like me can negotiate the options more easily. just my ten cents. thanks again
    jamie

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you have a lower-grade or older Sram cassette laying around, they were put together with 3 tiny screws instead of being riveted to an aluminum carrier like your 990 is. If you do and wanted to, you could remove those three screws with a small allen wrench, keep the 6 cogs that you want, and assemble them individually on the hub you have now. Lots of guys are running 3-6 gears on the SS hubs...works great.