mrniceguy
    Apr 2011

Hope BB VS Chris King BB

I don't know if this has already been a thread, but I couldn't find it if it was. Anyways, I am going to do an m960 ss conversion for my sycip and I can't decide between a Hope external bb or a Chris King. They both cost about the same and weights are almost identical. I know that they both make awesome products that last forever, but which is better?

g3h6o3
    The CK can be repacked easily with their grease injection tool.

The Hope requires new bearings and they have a cheap tool to remove/press in new bearings.

In both cases, I believe they're too expensive. I bought a Token Tiramic BB for much cheaper and I use the Hope tool to maintain the bearings. When the bearigns are toast, I'll keep the cups and use some Enduro bearings.
    Last edited by PissedOffCil; 04-28-2011 at 08:38 AM.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Another option Shockcraft Bottom Brackets & BB Bearings. These look very user servicable.

Maybe just buy SLX/XT quality BB and replace every couple of seasons. I think it just depends how "hard" your riding is on BB.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mrniceguy
    Apr 2011
    I appreciate the comments. Those bb's that you guys suggested both look good, but I unfortunately can't get a discount on them from the shop that i work at. I also kind of want them to match either my hub or my headset and dig the anodized red finishes. As far as a shimano bb goes, they work great, but there's no serviceability and they just lack that "bling" factor. I think I'm still between the hope and king. If anyone has tried one or both of these bb's I'd love to hear some feedback. thanks.

Never trust a fart
    You can service the "non-serviceable" bearings in an external BB like Shimano/FSA, etc.

There is a sticky at the top of the drivetrain page.

Personally I'm actually going to buy the CK BB. Just for the fact that with its little grease gun, servicing will be quick.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by gbradley428
    I appreciate the comments. Those bb's that you guys suggested both look good, but I unfortunately can't get a discount on them from the shop that i work at. I also kind of want them to match either my hub or my headset and dig the anodized red finishes. As far as a shimano bb goes, they work great, but there's no serviceability and they just lack that "bling" factor. I think I'm still between the hope and king. If anyone has tried one or both of these bb's I'd love to hear some feedback. thanks.
    The Token does come in red FWIW...
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gbradley428
    King and convince your shop to buy the grease injector. Everybody wins.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

King

Not sure where you live, but here in the PNW we can go through SEVERAL basic Shimano or Truvativ BB's a year. But a Chris King is ridiculously smooth, and can be re-greased easily (even different greases for different seasons). Hands down winner.
    that rug really tied the room together.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I bought 1 CK when they first came out. I now have 4 plus a backup in case they ever decide to stop making them.

Plays with tools
    the King BB's are slick. They spin as smooth as many ceramic BB's The grease tool is slick as well, shouldn't ever wear one out as long as you use that a couple times a year.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    the King BB's are slick. They spin as smooth as many ceramic BB's The grease tool is slick as well, shouldn't ever wear one out as long as you use that a couple times a year.
    Yup. I was in the CK booth when the BB was first shown. A guy came in, spun the crank with the sample BB, "D##%, I just bought a ceramic BB. This is smoother and costs half as much!"
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Ultimated Outsider
    I got a King when it first came out, and it still rolls buttery smooth like it was new. You don't even need the grease tool to services it, I used the same procedure to service the bearing as the headset and hub bearings when I services it. Way better than all the disposable bearing BB in the market.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mrniceguy
    Apr 2011
    thanks for all your input. i think i'll go with the king since almost everyone says good things about it. i just finished my cut and sand job on my m960's so i just have to order the chain ring, bb, and ceramikoat now.

Never trust a fart
    I just ordered this..........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi
    Another option Shockcraft Bottom Brackets & BB Bearings. These look very user servicable.

Maybe just buy SLX/XT quality BB and replace every couple of seasons. I think it just depends how "hard" your riding is on BB.
    Thanks for the props.
    Yes our BB's are fully servicable and can be ordered with any bearing options you're likely to dream up. Including Enduro steel and ceramics.

How smooth a BB spins depends on how they've tried to seal it. Shimano and RF BB's spin poorly because they've tried to seal up the outer edge of the cup where nothing actually gets in. I haven't yet got hold of a CK BB for an autopsy, but hope are using plastic shields with no extra seals to create drag.

But if longevity is a problem the CNC Storm Drains are the hot ticket. All BB's let water in along the splines in the crank axle, but this is the only BB in the world that lets water back out.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve