mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Hone Vs. Fsa Afterburner Megaexo Vs. Xt Crankset

I am buying a crankset but undecided on the FSA Afterburner, Shimano Hone or XT. In my LBS, the FSA Afterburner is priced between the Hone and XT. And all of them are sold together with the chainrings and BB.

I have read unfavourable reviews of the XT chainrings, but little on the FSA.

Your kind advice on pros and cons.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I would buy the lightest with the less Q-Factor...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

I would go with the Afterburner

XT and Afterburner are both very nice XC cranksets. FSA chainrings are quite good. I don't know if the XT rings are as bad as my XTR, I had to replace the middle ring after only 8 months.

Isn't the Hone pretty much an LX crankset with a few different features aimed more at freeride?

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by wensiaw@pacific.net.sg
    I am buying a crankset but undecided on the FSA Afterburner, Shimano Hone or XT. In my LBS, the FSA Afterburner is priced between the Hone and XT. And all of them are sold together with the chainrings and BB.

I have read unfavourable reviews of the XT chainrings, but little on the FSA.

Your kind advice on pros and cons.

Thanks.

bang
    what kind of crankset do you want? you can get a shimano lx crankset on sale for $85. far cheaper and about 40g lighter than the afterburner. the afterburner is overpriced for what it is i think (it looks nice, but it's heavy). you can find shimano xt 760 cranksets for $200 or less if you're patient and look around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I only managed to look up FSA's Q-factor but could not find XT nor Hone's. Could you help?

Hone and LX are probably very similar with minor differences, both are retailing at the same price where I live. The Afterburner is priced mid-way between the Hone and XT, My LBS claimed that the Afterburner is in the same league as the XT.

I did notice that it is heavier than the XT, Hone and LX, but could it be it is using oversize integrated BB? The Truvatic equivalent with its Gigapipe BB weighs more too. Is the oversize integrated BB better than the ISIS? Is ISIS the Octalink (comes with XT) equivalent.

bang
    isis uses a larger diameter axle, which means it uses smaller bearings which are more prone to failure. octalink uses a smaller diameter axle and bigger bearings, and seems to be more durable (my octalink bb is 2.5 years old and it's fine still). with external systems, you are using an even bigger axle with much larger bearings which should hold up better than isis is set up and adjusted properly. plenty of people swear by square taper though, which is older than all of these systems.

the fsa afterburner is definitely not in the same league as shimano's xt in terms of cost and weight, but certainly in terms of quality. the crank arms simply use a lot more material, which makes the cranks weigh a ton.

i think the q-factor on the xt is supposedly 175mm vs 169 for the fsa cranks. lx is probably also 175 (i haven't seen one measured so take that with a grain of salt).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

XT vs. Afterburner

Forgot to mention that I intend to set up the bike as single speed initially, so may use all three chainrings at a later stage.

Also looking at other single speed chainrings such as Surly.

I need to check with my LBS if he sells the cranks and spiders without the chainrings.