Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Homebrewed Components gone AWOL?

Has anyone here had any recent dealings with them? I ordered a single ring over two months ago. Received email confirmation of my order, and then . . . nothing. I knew it would take at least a month, but this is ridiculous. My emails have received no response at all, which leads me to think the worst.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    check with the people that have been waiting a year+.

there's a long thread in the SS forum.

mtbr member
    Oh, right. So I can kiss that $ goodbye then. What a c0ck$ucker.

jbf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Oh, right. So I can kiss that $ goodbye then. What a c0ck$ucker.
    No, my experiance that you will get your stuff, and it really is beautiful product. Just don't wait around staring at your mailbox. It will get there when it gets there ...

mtbr member

Mia

Dan is MIA for sure. I ordered two simple SRAM spiderless rings on 5/18. Yes, May 18th. I followed up a month ago and he said he never got the order. I can promised I paid the credit card bill four months ago. Anyway, he said he would rush them out and I would have them within three weeks. Of course it has been longer than that and two emails unanswered. BTW, I heard Google dropped him from their checkout service.

Just Ride
    Seems to me there is a need here that is going unfulfilled. If you had a cnc machine (or regular access to one), could acquire the raw aluminum and titanium at a reasonable cost, and knew how to do the anodizing process you'd have a nice side business. Given that it shouldn't be hard to produce and ship a spiderless chainring in a timely fashion. Even several a day.

I've read about anodizing, doesn't seem hard to do, just a matter of acquiring the right chemicals. There is a thread about the process on MTBR somewhere about it. As for the shipping thing. Just make sure people get their order within 2 weeks and you'd easily put this other guy out of business! I've not looked to much into it, but from what I've see homebrewed is the only company offering aluminum and titanium spiderless chainrings anodized in your choice of color. There may be others, but I've not heard of or found them. Wish I had a cnc machine now...
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Seems to me there is a need here that is going unfulfilled. If you had a cnc machine (or regular access to one), could acquire the raw aluminum and titanium at a reasonable cost, and knew how to do the anodizing process you'd have a nice side business. Given that it shouldn't be hard to produce and ship a spiderless chainring in a timely fashion. Even several a day.

I've read about anodizing, doesn't seem hard to do, just a matter of acquiring the right chemicals. There is a thread about the process on MTBR somewhere about it. As for the shipping thing. Just make sure people get their order within 2 weeks and you'd easily put this other guy out of business! I've not looked to much into it, but from what I've see homebrewed is the only company offering aluminum and titanium spiderless chainrings anodized in your choice of color. There may be others, but I've not heard of or found them. Wish I had a cnc machine now...
    You make it sound so easy...lol I think it would eat up alot of time.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jbf View Post
    No, my experiance that you will get your stuff, and it really is beautiful product. Just don't wait around staring at your mailbox. It will get there when it gets there ...
    You'll get your stuff unless of course you don't - like the other guys that have been waiting almost a year now. And it's a beautiful product, unless of course you got one of the rings sent out from the "bad run" or one of the rings that are failing catastrophically or one of the rings from the poorly heat treated aluminum (or whatever it was) that caused them to wear out in the first ride.

OP - Sorry to tell you this, but you're in for quite a wait, so just sit back and hope for the best. You might still be able to dispute the charges and have them reversed, but you need to get on that ASAP if you paid with paypal.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbf View Post
    +1. My experience exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    You make it sound so easy...lol I think it would eat up alot of time.
    true enough, but having to wait a year for a chainring is just asinine!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

dwt
    mtbr member
    I waited like everyone else, but it was about 3 months. You know there will be a wait going in.

I wanted a 31T 104bcd ring, and HB is the only game in town AFAIK. So I ordered my ring and prepared to wait out delivery.

The product is first rate, looking and working perfectly. I have no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I was willing to wait 4 to 6 weeks like the website says, or even double that worse case senerio. However, this Sunday will be 7 months of waiting for me.

I placed my order on 3/28/2012 and still haven't recieved my order.
    I recieved a notice that my order was in the queue to ship on 7/2/2012, but nothing ever came and the U.S.Postal Service tracking number never checked out, they never recieved it.
    I've tried to email him several times, even at the new email addresses and still no response.
    Unless you're willing to give this guy a 7 month cash advance I'd be very cautious about placing an order.

mtbr member
    Yeah - I really don't care how good the product is. This is just bad business. Who the hell can wait a year or more for anything, let alone a simple facking chainring. It's not like we're talking about a custom carbon bike built by someone who you know has a one year waiting list. Don't they build stealth bombers in less time than some people have been waiting for their rings? This guy, whoever he is, is a facking monkey ****** hat, and I have no hope of ever getting my chain ring. Hopefully enough people see this thread that they don't chuck their money away like I have done.

DIY all the way
    Buy a lathe and a milling machine, add a rotary table, and you got your rings in like an afternoon

Add another hour or so for the anodizing

Magura

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    never tried them...

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Something about me ordering custom chainrings apparently takes people/companies down. I took out Boone/Brown, Warhawk Industries, and now Homebrewed. Just a shame shimano won't give some options on chainrings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    3/16 here and still nothing, and not one email replied to.

mtbr member
    I ordered a bash from HBC. Wish I would have read some threads before ordering. Oh well, made a bash from a 39t ring.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    This why I am so glad that MRP produces the bling-ring. I got lucky, I already had the Sram crank, but the spiderless 1x10 system works really well, and I didnt have to wait a year for a 30 tooth chainring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

I have four CNC mills, but getting a new product going is a lot more work than just throwing some aluminum on a mill. Design and fitment takes time. Dan has lots of different styles to fit different cranks. Anodizing is a little sketchy. The EPA would not be happy with garage anodizing operations.

I intend to try my hand at making some chainrings and cogs for my SS someday. It's just hard to get to it while keeping the rest of the business running. I have lots of ideas that I want to mess with.

addicted to chunk
    I totally agree!!!!

Glad I got my 30t ring from andersen machine, pretty sure it was within a week!
    Riding.....

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    This why I am so glad that MRP produces the bling-ring. I got lucky, I already had the Sram crank, but the spiderless 1x10 system works really well, and I didnt have to wait a year for a 30 tooth chainring.
    This. Plus the bling ring is properly offset for chain guides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sounds like a crapshow.....never would consider ordering a thing from them. Houses get built in less time.....heck, my wife and I built a log cabin on weekends in only 50 weeks, you think someone could shite out a couple hundy chainrings in that time.....

~ B A D A S S ~

If you send me a heidenhein machine (preferably) or fanuc I will machine this crap for all of you. Quickly too. Like magic.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    I have four CNC mills, but getting a new product going is a lot more work than just throwing some aluminum on a mill. Design and fitment takes time. Dan has lots of different styles to fit different cranks. Anodizing is a little sketchy. The EPA would not be happy with garage anodizing operations.

I intend to try my hand at making some chainrings and cogs for my SS someday. It's just hard to get to it while keeping the rest of the business running. I have lots of ideas that I want to mess with.
    You probably need to order a new cnc to make it happen. honestly. If you have business now that is. most cnc shops i have worked in are 24/7 businesses, the machines are always busy. Luckily i can make all my own **** with manual machines, grinders, drill presses and yes you guessed it, (drumroll) A HACKSAW & A FILE.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast