Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Luckily i can make all my own **** with manual machines, grinders, drill presses and yes you guessed it, (drumroll) A HACKSAW & A FILE.
    I'd like to see that chainring.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    thats one component thats not included in my own ****. chainrings and cassettes I buy. Steel! lowest shimano series available. lasts for ages.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    Here you go

Magura

mtbr member
    WTF?? Someone gave me negative rep for starting this thread!!! Ha Ha. They even made a comment: "watch what you say" (gotta love those e-gangstas - so tough). Probably the same arse wipe who ripped me off for the chainring.

mtbr member
    ^^^Did he/she have the balls to leave their name...... I doubt it. U just got rep.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    ^^^Did he/she have the balls to leave their name...... I doubt it. U just got rep.
    Ha Ha . . . you'll no doubt be surprised to learn that the tough guy didn't have the balls to leave his name next to his threat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i got ripped myself i ordered a ring back in july tried to dispute it on Paypal but to much time has elapsed!! there goes 40 bucks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Ha Ha . . . you'll no doubt be surprised to learn that the tough guy didn't have the balls to leave his name next to his threat.
    I had the same thing happen to me when I got upset about not hearing back from HBC- his website at the time said it would be a month for delivery, at about a month I sent some inquiries to see where the shipment was. No answer, posted it on the SS forum in the thread following his work, and BAM some butt wipe goes off on me. Neg rep followed neg rep and so on. You would have thought I had punched the Mother Teresa in the face when all I was asking for is an update.

Well I got my money back from Dan, and not more than two months after that everything starts going down hill real fast- people were coming out of the wood work talking about the delays or like you getting nothing. Wait a year for delivery?

HA! I call BS on that crap and whoever wants to can neg rep me until the cows come home or ban me- MTBR is not the only MTB sight to go to. I rarely ever leave neg rep or rant but HBC and Dan and his disciples can suck eggs. I haven't checked that thread since I noticed how bad things had gotten but I would never deal with Dan ever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    This. Plus the bling ring is properly offset for chain guides.
    Plus Plus MRP makes batches of these at a given time and only takes orders when theyre in stock... they dont take money or sell rings they dont already have on hand ready to ship.

This exactly how most one man operations screw themselves. By taking orders on products they intend to make.

Reminds me of a guy from a motorcycle site, advrider.com, who was making aluminum panniers from his garage. Awesome product and price, but the guy just couldnt keep up with demand. I had to keep up on him and luckily I got my product within 2 months, but some people waited a year. I ended up blasting him in a review on the site, where he would openly say on the forum to me that my product shipped, then moments later in a private message ask me for my address again because he forgot to ship them.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I totally agree!!!!

Glad I got my 30t ring from andersen machine, pretty sure it was within a week!
    Thanks for posting about this company. Everybody better order from them soon - I plan to order something so they will be out of business pretty quickly. Another notch on my chainring belt...

PSYCHOLUST
    Myself, I've been waiting since APRIL.
    I bought a few things from him in the past and waited a couple of months, but this is something different.

I'm thinking that it must require action at his end to ACCEPT PAYPAL payments,
    Someone is obviously awake at his end placing and paying for magazine ad space at his end.
    which means he isn't dead or in a coma.... So is he not committing FRAUD at this point.?.. Takiing peoples money and REFUSING to either ship the product or answer inquiries.

In the past I've read peoples posts defending this guy as an eccentric, or somehow feeling that the quality of his work makes being CHEATED worthwhile

A few dollars here and a few there add up to LOTS OF MONEY

Is this not CRIMINAL?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule View Post
    I'm thinking that it must require action at his end to ACCEPT PAYPAL payments,
    It does not require any action to receive Paypal payments. I sell derailleur hangers on my website and I get orders randomly throughout the year. I get an email from Paypal indicating that I have received a payment and a message showing what was ordered from the Paypal button menu. The money is already in my account by that time.

I try to remember to put a note on my website when I go on vacation in case anybody wants to place an order during that time. Otherwise I do everything I can to ship the day I get the order; maybe it slips to the next day.

If something unexpected happened and I was stuck in the hospital or something, I could receive payments and not even know about it until I got back. I have no idea what is going on with Dan. The complete lack of communication makes me wonder if something serious has happened, but he has set a track record of not communicating, so he's not going to get much mercy from his customers.

mtbr member
    If I made these hard to get rings, and fast, how much interest you think I would get???

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If I were you I'd ask someone in the business. I hear Dan at HBC does good work and delivers in 4 to 6 weeks. Oh that's right, he's probably too busy NOT fulfilling orders to get back to you.

In all honestly if the quality was top notch and you offered the hard to find stuff like TI and spiderless, a lot. People would be willing to pay too. HBC could likely charge nearly twice as much, have half the orders, make just as much money, spend less time working, and have a happy customers/return customers. The guys is obviously not interested in any of that. It's only a matter of time before he gets what's coming to him. I don't mean physically, but legally. Then the market is nearly all yours, with a few exceptions. Good Luck!!

Make some proto types and post some pics for people to comment. Remember quality, quality, quality. You'll see how much interest it drums up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This guy makes some quality steel rings and cogs. TomiCOGs
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This guy makes some quality steel rings and cogs. TomiCOGs

Of course, the cogs are for fixies only. Chainring lasts forever.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho View Post
    If I made these hard to get rings, and fast, how much interest you think I would get???
    Id love a 34t zero offset sram direct mount ring... (I have a MRP offset ring but when used with a BB30 its puts my chainline way too close to the frame. like 47mm chainline close)

Id say color choices get trumped by fast delivery and product quality.

mtbr member
    What I will do is get a new 32T-104bcd then make a 31T. (I want one too) Take a photo, then offer one up to one of you with a promise that you review it. Then who know's? Go thru proper channels etc.

Oh and another freeby to who comes up with a name for the rings.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho View Post
    Oh and another freeby to who comes up with a name for the rings.

Name them "I Deliver".

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Name them "I Deliver".
    "Deliverance" (for some folks, literally)

mtbr member
    I don't think I want to go on a night ride with deliverence etched into the ring. Too funny.

Also kicking around a 30T. But I will try that one first. More than likely a spider mod is in order.

Back in a couple days.

(FLMike) Do they not make a 34t zero offset? I thought spiderless was able to go real small.
    Excuse my ignorance.
    Last edited by jimbowho; 11-13-2012 at 07:19 PM.

~ B A D A S S ~
    you need to make at least 100 buck an hour for this to make sense. last place I worked at charged like 800 an hour. Converted.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Here you go

Magura

Mr. Magura ftw
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Did anyone happen to think, that maybe something happened to the guy.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    ^^^^ Yes. Sometime within the last year he lost his morals.
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2