mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Holzfeller cranks w/ howitzer BB

So i just got my cranks and BB in today and i bought them according to the specs of my frame. for some odd reason though, when i put the BB on, the spindle moves do i just another spacer or one less spacer? please help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    What do you mean 'the spindle moves'? Axially, radially, rotationally? Did you follow the instalation instructions for your particular bb width? Is the bb shell within width spec? Have you tightened the cups to spec?

Lastly, are your cranks 'howitzer' versions? If they are not, they will not work with that BB.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    it moves horizontaly like side to side and the BB and cranks are right for each other so i dont know whats really happeneing

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Likely cause: You might not have the crankarms themselves properly installed. They must be bottomed against the crankstop integrated in the seal. On Howitzer once the driveside crankarm is bottomed and properly torqued to spec in the manual, there will be no axial movement. Note that the non driveside bearing floats in the adapter to make up for tolerances in the frame shell width.

Also: measure your frame BB shell width.
    Read the instructions.
    Install spacers in the configuration according to the instructions based on your shell width and chainguide type.
    Too many spacers and you will excessively load your bearings on installation and damage them.
    Too few spacers and you'll likely see the non driveside bearing pop out of its adatper...not the end of the world though, just fix your spacer configuration.

If you're getting nowhere take it to a shop and let a professional mechanic install it.