billyboy197
    Mar 2007

Hollowtech Spacers - Help please

I have a 73mm BB and have just bought a hone crankset with the Hollowtech II BB. It comes with 3 x 2.5mm spacers. I thought I was supposed to leave one spacer on the drive side but the chainline doesn't look right?

I am running 8 speed at the rear and when in the middle front the chainline is straight when on the 3rd sprocket at the rear. I would expect it to be aligned with the 4th or 5th?

The crankarms clear the chainstays by 9mm on the non drive and 12mm on the drive? Logic would say take out the 3rd spacer?

Help please

Frame: Heckler '07/08 if it makes any difference.

Two wheels are best
    Your bike was most likely built to use a 47.5mm chainline. The Hollowtech II cranks, when installed per Shimano's instructions, give you a 50.0mm chainline. This affectively moves the drive side out by 2.5mm.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

billyboy197
    Mar 2007
    Can I just remove the spacer or do I have to swap it to the non-drive side to maintain the overall spacing?

mtbr member
    You need to leave that spacer in or you'll potentially crush the inner sleeve of the BB assembly. If you want to slightly improve the chainline, you can move that spacer to the non-drive side, but you need to use it somewhere.

billyboy197
    Mar 2007
    For information to anyone reading this thread in future:

Word of caution: I tried swapping the spacer to the non-drive side but then couldn't get the swing on the front mech ('08 XT) to get the granny ring reliably so put it back again. I'll ride with the chainline at 50mm and see how I get on. That's the benefit of the Hollowtech II, easy fit! For info Santa Cruz website says 47.5-50mm chainline for the heckler.

Thanks for the comments