mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Hollowtech II Replacement Chainring Q.

I have been searching around for an answer to my question but havent seen it yet.

Last night I was replacing my chain, cassette and chainrings. I have an LX Hollowtech II crankset. I purchased a RaceFace 32t ring from performancebike and I got the old rings off but when I put the new ones on, it didnt seem right. There was not enough space between the rings to allow the chain to go through. It took me awhile to figure out the lining of the tabs thing so I know it is lined up right. I am guessing that this ring just isnt compatible?

Also, when I took off my cassette the part of the hub that the cassette sits on had been sort of nicked up from the old cassette, do you think I should change that? can you?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    the hub scratches are normal, you can file them down a little but dont have to.
    as far as the rings, I like to keep everything 1 manufacturer,

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by tron
    Last night I was replacing my chain, cassette and chainrings. I have an LX Hollowtech II crankset. I purchased a RaceFace 32t ring from performancebike and I got the old rings off but when I put the new ones on, it didnt seem right. There was not enough space between the rings to allow the chain to go through. It took me awhile to figure out the lining of the tabs thing so I know it is lined up right. I am guessing that this ring just isnt compatible?
    What do you mean by the chain going through the rings?
    After you installed the ring, did you try riding the bike? How does it work?
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sorry, what I was trying to say was that once I installed the rings they were so close together that the chain could not fit. Of course I could get in the big ring but when I down shifted it just fell off as the middle ring was too close to the big ring to catch it...I didnt ride it, I just shifted by hand but its obvious that it was not going to work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Well, I figured it out...it was pretty simple and stupid. I went to a shop to pick up
    a shimano 32t ring to see if that was the problem (the new one was Raceface). They had my crankset there and I was trying to explain what was going on to the guy working there. He seemed perplexed. I looked at the display model and I realized that I was putting the large ring on the inside of the spider instead of the outside. The grooves on the inside of the spider fit the large ring perfectly. Seems stupid now, I got it all figured out, thats what happens when you work on your bike with a couple of hours sleep I guess.

Old school BMXer
    Glad you got it figured out. I assumed it was something simple.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tron
    Well, I figured it out...it was pretty simple and stupid. I went to a shop to pick up
    a shimano 32t ring to see if that was the problem (the new one was Raceface). They had my crankset there and I was trying to explain what was going on to the guy working there. He seemed perplexed. I looked at the display model and I realized that I was putting the large ring on the inside of the spider instead of the outside. The grooves on the inside of the spider fit the large ring perfectly. Seems stupid now, I got it all figured out, thats what happens when you work on your bike with a couple of hours sleep I guess.
    It never hurts to take a good look at the original arrangement before you take it apart. Sketch it out even.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    It never hurts to take a good look at the original arrangement before you take it apart. Sketch it out even.
    or take a digital picture