Gimme my MOJO!

Hollowtech II cups

Are the Shimano hollowtech II cups interchangeable? IE, DuraAce, Ultegra, XT, XTR, Saint?

If you want hollowtech II cups you'll have to stick with Shimano, otherwise other external bearings/cups are sharing the same standard for now from what I've seen...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Gimme my MOJO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    If you want hollowtech II cups you'll have to stick with Shimano, otherwise other external bearings/cups are sharing the same standard for now from what I've seen...
    So its ok to use Ultegra with XT cranks, for example?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by leleklegrunt
    I use Dura Ace with my XTR Cranks. However, you do have to use the spacer (hollow metal piece that goes through the bottom bracket) from the XTR bearings.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Race Face and Shimano are compatible and I believe so is FSA. Truvativ is the only one I'm aware uses a different driveside cup.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by leleklegrunt
    The cups themselves are compatible. There are some other differences to watch out for in road vs mtb versions. The road versions have shorter threading since they only need to work on 68mm shells. MTB version is 68/73mm and brings more threading to compensate for what is lost when you put spacers on if you have to. Then of course there is the 70mm italian thread version for road cranks which for obvious reasons will not work on any MTB.