• 04-24-2013
    Cornelius Prins
    Hoe long does shimano XT parts last?
    I would like to know how long Shimano XT cassettes and front blades typically last? I just had my bike in for a service at my LBS its only done 2700Km The shop told me my chain and front blades and casket needs to be replaced I have never had chain slip and can not see any visible wear and tear Does this sound normal? They also changed my 6902 bearing in the headset and I never felt anything wrong with it
  • 04-24-2013
    eb1888
    2700km is about right.
    It is generally usual to replace the chain before having to do the cassette and chainrings. KMC and Shimano chain last the longest. Look closely(magnifying glass) at the teeth of the gears you use most. Compare them to the least used gears. Measure the chain stretch in 12". If it is much more than an 1/16" you may have left it too long and everything needs to be new.
    If you do your own maintenance in the future you can take more preventative steps.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html
  • 04-24-2013
    LyNx
    In general I'd say no, 2700km isn't too long, except for the chain and well sadly that's the big thing if left unchecked. Depending on on your conditions and if you ride in alot of mud and muck, water etc, your drivetrain parts may wear quicker than someone who lives in a dry area and doesn't ride if it's wet.

    I use XTR chains and find I can normally get around 1,000 miles out of one before it needs replacing, which is before it gets stretched far enough to start wearing out the rings and cassette. Cassette wise once you make sure and replace your chain regularly I've gotten over 5k miles out of one and I ride in all sorts of crappy weather, but as said, replace my chain regularly before it sees 1/16th" stretch over 24".
  • 04-24-2013
    khcaver
    I've gotten 800 miles each from two seperate XTR chains. At the end of the two chain's lives It was time to change the middle chainring and cassette. (on a SLX dirvetrain) The first chain did not skip when it needed changed. the second one would skip when I mashed the cranks. I ride in nasty conditions and I'm not the most anal of keeping my stuff cleaned so that is probably costing me some life in parts but oh well.
    I also have a theory that it is possible for a XTR chain to wear out faster because of it being made from lighter materials and possibly thinner gauge materials.....I'm not certain of this but it makes sense to me.
  • 04-24-2013
    Wombat
    I'd say keep riding it until it starts to slip then replace the cassette, rings and chain. No point in changing it now if it doesn't slip.

    Tim
  • 04-25-2013
    Fleas
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    i'd say keep riding it until it starts to slip then replace the cassette, rings and chain. No point in changing it now if it doesn't slip.

    Tim

    +1

    -f
  • 04-25-2013
    max-a-mill
    as said above

    if your gonna get a whole new drivetrain anyway, no point in putting it on until the old stuff starts slipping.

    dirvetrain wear depends very much on the conditions you ride in so no one can say for sure if your drivetrain truly is worn out or not without seeing it. could be the shop sees worn components as worn out and is trying to sell you new stuff a little prematurely??? but who knows without seeing/riding it.
  • 04-25-2013
    jonshonda
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cornelius Prins View Post
    casket needs to be replaced

    You should never have to replace the casket if you ordered the zero worm tolerance policy.

    XT parts love you long time.
  • 04-25-2013
    jimPacNW
    Get a small 12"/30cm metal machinist ruler at your local discount tool place for $3 and check your own chain, - it's easier to measure on the bike using metric. 25.4mm is 'new', 25.5mm is good, replace at 25.6mm and your chainrings and cassette will last much longer. The quickest way to wear out gears is to run a stretched chain on them. Worn out gears will not skip until REALLY bad with the chain that wore them out, put a new chain on worn out gears and it will skip.
  • 04-25-2013
    Club Mud
    What exactly is chain slip? How can a chain slip when it is engaged in so many teeth of a gear?
  • 04-25-2013
    shiggy
    Hoe long does shimano XT parts last?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Club Mud View Post
    What exactly is chain slip? How can a chain slip when it is engaged in so many teeth of a fear?

    All sorts of things can happen when the chain is scared.
  • 04-25-2013
    Club Mud
    Uh, OK. Spelling corrected. I'll still wait for an answer.
  • 04-25-2013
    shiggy
    Hoe long does shimano XT parts last?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Club Mud View Post
    Uh, OK. Spelling corrected. I'll still wait for an answer.

    I will not change it in my quote.

    When parts are worn, the chain does not engage the teeth properly and it jumps under pressure.
  • 04-25-2013
    jimPacNW
    It last happened to me when I put a new chain on a badly worn xt-ii drivetrain in about '92. The teeth on the chainring are pulled towards the back, sharkfin shaped, the new chain won't properly sit down in the 'pockets', but sits high enough that when power is applied you will spin the chainring (a half turn or a turn) inside the chain. It does not feel right.
  • 04-26-2013
    Cornelius Prins
    Thanx guys I am just going to keep riding it until some sort of failure I get the Idea the guy just wanted to make a sale
  • 04-27-2013
    Le Duke
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cornelius Prins View Post
    Thanx guys I am just going to keep riding it until some sort of failure I get the Idea the guy just wanted to make a sale

    Instead of risking breaking your bike, or hurting yourself, why don't you just measure your chain and replace it when it needs to be replaced?

    People with that attitude are the same people who file lawsuits against bicycle manufacturers, because their product fails when it is already way past due for maintenance. Hold up your end of the bargain, please.
  • 04-27-2013
    dereknz
    1 Attachment(s)
    when the chain is worn past the tolerance suggested by other posters it's going to accelerate wear on the rest of the drivechain and you end up having the replace the whole drivechain.
    I would suggest getting a measuring tool, chain wear gauge tools are cheap enough, simple to use. Have the chain replaced before it starts wearing out the other components.
    Attachment 794203
    I went though 3 chains before needing to replace my chainrings and cassette, just short of 7000km (sram drivetrain)
  • 04-27-2013
    Wombat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Instead of risking breaking your bike, or hurting yourself, why don't you just measure your chain and replace it when it needs to be replaced?

    People with that attitude are the same people who file lawsuits against bicycle manufacturers, because their product fails when it is already way past due for maintenance. Hold up your end of the bargain, please.

    I have been riding my bikes until they start to slip for about 15 years. Nothing has broken in that time, only the drive train has worn out. My end of the bargain is to to get appropriate wear out of out my bike. This has nothing to do with filing law suits.

    Tim
  • 04-27-2013
    Le Duke
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I have been riding my bikes until they start to slip for about 15 years. Nothing has broken in that time, only the drive train has worn out. My end of the bargain is to to get appropriate wear out of out my bike. This has nothing to do with filing law suits.

    Tim

    There is a difference between a slip and a failure.

    I have several thousand miles on a SRAM XX cassette, and I'd be willing to bet a person with a "pro" license puts a fair bit of strain on parts.
  • 04-27-2013
    J.B. Weld
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    In general I'd say no, 2700km isn't too long, except for the chain and well sadly that's the big thing if left unchecked. Depending on on your conditions and if you ride in alot of mud and muck, water etc, your drivetrain parts may wear quicker than someone who lives in a dry area and doesn't ride if it's wet.

    I use XTR chains and find I can normally get around 1,000 miles out of one before it needs replacing, which is before it gets stretched far enough to start wearing out the rings and cassette. Cassette wise once you make sure and replace your chain regularly I've gotten over 5k miles out of one and I ride in all sorts of crappy weather, but as said, replace my chain regularly before it sees 1/16th" stretch over 24".



    +43^^^


    Riding until your drivetrain is completely shucked makes that $5000 rig feel like dog poo, and is less economical then replacing your chain at reasonable intervals.

    If it were me I'd get to it now, those front rings may still be OK.
  • 04-27-2013
    Cornelius Prins
    Howzit I am from South Africa we dont sue Any body so it is my decision to ride until it actully beakes I just dont want to replace parts that is still good.
    I love riding and just dont want to get ripped off
  • 04-27-2013
    Cornelius Prins
    the point is that I was toled to replace everything not just the chain and i have not experienced any problems with shifting or slipping
  • 04-27-2013
    Mutantclover
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cornelius Prins View Post
    the point is that I was toled to replace everything not just the chain and i have not experienced any problems with shifting or slipping

    I think that with that mileage they were not lying about it being worn out if you "go by the book." If everything is worn and you only replace the chain, you usually get chainsuck from using the new chain on a worn out chainring. So from my experience, the two options would be to either leave it all as is and keep riding until problems do arise, or replace it all. Whether or not their advice was good depends on whether you prioritize saving money or shifting quality I'd say.
  • 04-27-2013
    LyNx
    What everyone here has tried to tell you is that YES, most likely you have taken everything beyond saving, so you'll probably have to end up replacing your cassette, chain and ring(s), just ride it until you start to have issues, then change them. This being said, I would try a new chain and see if by some miracle that'll do the trick. Also would suggest you do as suggested and remove your chain and measure just how much it's stretched by.
    - I just had a guys bike here for absolutely fvcked headset bearings, had to wait a bit to get them, but got them day before and put everything back together and gave the bike a once over, seemed to be working OK, but decided to check the chain, over 24" it was stretched past a 1/4" and yet the guy said he really wasn't having any issues, just some slipping in the smaller cogs, so I put a new chain on and we'll see if that solves things. You could be this lucky if you ride like this guy, who is not a masher, but instead a spinner.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cornelius Prins View Post
    the point is that I was toled to replace everything not just the chain and i have not experienced any problems with shifting or slipping