mtbr member
    Mar 2007

high clamp vs low clamp FD interchangeable?

I'm building a frame up, i need a top pull Front derailleur. Whats the difference between high and low clamp? are they interchangeable? Will be using a triple chainring 44t crankset.
    Thanks!

Meh.
    It depends on the frame. For instance, my old Kona Coiler had a weld right where the clamp for a top swing out mount, so it would need a bottom swing (high clamp).

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    usually not interchangeable, the diff. is one has the clamp above the deraillier and the other is below. I think all shimanos now are dual pull (meaning top or bottom pull)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is one more mechanically sound? or do they both shift as well if properly set up? Is there a preference if my frame could accomodate both?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesto
    Is one more mechanically sound? or do they both shift as well if properly set up? Is there a preference if my frame could accomodate both?
    the low clamp/top swing will shift easier. more mechanically sound? dunno, but if you can do a low clamp, go for it.

Former Bike Wrench

My preference is high clamp

Quote Originally Posted by Celesto
    My experience over the years is that while a low clap (top swing) does has less spring tension and therefore shifts up easier...they also seem to develop play quicker and have a harder time downshifting...especially to the granny (because of that lighter spring tension). I'm not sure why they wear out quicker, but they have in my experience. So, given the option of either, I prefer the high clamp (bottom swing). As it is, the last two FS bikes I've owned must use bottom swing derailluers anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    My experience over the years is that while a low clap (top swing) does has less spring tension and therefore shifts up easier...they also seem to develop play quicker and have a harder time downshifting...especially to the granny (because of that lighter spring tension). I'm not sure why they wear out quicker, but they have in my experience. So, given the option of either, I prefer the high clamp (bottom swing). As it is, the last two FS bikes I've owned must use bottom swing derailluers anyway.

'tis good to know! I haven't much experience with the low clamp, since the one bike I have that has one is an old xtr low clamp that doesn't see lots of use.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Just found this thread via a search. It has totally answered 2 things for me:

1. Hi vs Lo clamp is based on frame, and may be interchangable

and

2. (this is more important) this may explain why I have not been able to use my granny ring. I used to be able to get to it, and now the front der just won't move to it. I regularly service and clean the entire bike, and it is the 2nd front der that this has happened to.

Excellent advise.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Forgot to mention that a friend has recently given me an almost-new Shimano LX FD that is hi-clamp. Upgraditis always leads to hand-me-downs.

Members who have read this thread: 0