mtbr member
    Mar 2006

High Clamp vs. Low Clamp?

Is there any difference other than looks in one over the other?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Downeaster
    Is there any difference other than looks in one over the other?
    You frame may be able to take only one of the two types, depending on construction / tupe layout. What frame?

If you're asking more from a general curiousity standpoint, there are some dramatic differences. High clamp is a very simple, sturdy parallelogram design with two forged arms and four straight-through pivot points. Low band is constructed from stamped metal, has multiple rivet-type pivots, and unless something has changed in the last two generations, leaves the outside plate relatively unsupported compared to a high band. I found it very interesting to look over the two types side by side and see how differently they are constructed to accomplish a similar task.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Nate,
    Thanks for the insight. I was just curious as to why the two different types. I am building up a 1999 Giant ATX 890 and am planning on using a SRAM high clamp.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I believe the ATX frames used oversized seat tubes that are deformed where they join the bottom bracket (which could interfere with a low clamp derailleur), so your choice is correct.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    I had a GT LTS that demanded a high clamp because of it's short, stubby false seat tube - I tried a low clamp but it wouldn't quite go low enough.
    I have a Yeti 575 now that demands a high clamp with bottom pull because the seat tube has a pivot point set into it that means a low clamp wouldn't fit.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what type of clamp I'll need for my Ibis Szazbo?