mtbr member

Help with XTR 951 Crank?

I need to pull a crank and remove the chainring cluster. On this bike the rings are all in a group and they connect to the arm with a lock ring. There is an aluminum dust cover around the crank bolt and it has two small holes in it 180 degrees apart. Do I have to remove this to remove the crank arm? Is there a special tool or a trick? Does the crank come off with a standard puller? Finally, how about that lockring? I don't want to buy $50 worth of tools to do something one time.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes, you'll have to remove the dust cover. Yes, a standard puller can be used to extract the cranks (but try pulling it off by hand first). The tricky part is the lockring.

The tool for the dust cover is a pin spanner which look like s pair of dividers used in those old war movies for map navigation. You can improvise this tool easily: clamp together two small diameter (approx 2mm) Allen Keys or nails so that they are parallel and spaced the distance of the two holes apart making sure that the pointed ends that go into the holes don't portrude more than 5mm out from the clamp (otherwise, they will bend).

The good thing with this improv tool is that it's adjustable beyond the limitations of a proper pin spanner. Btw, in the event that you do have one at hand, a watch case opener with the appropriate tip will also work.

If you have an older crank puller, then it may lack the cap fitting which increases the contact diameter (since octalink spindles are wider in diameter than square taper) of the puller against the bottom bracket - in this case, put grease on a 16mm diameter, 2mm thick washer or coin and carefully drop it onto the BB before extraction.

As pointed out above, the lockring is the tricky bit without the proper tool:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=17702

This 8 pronged lockring tool is usually used with a small plug tool that keeps it mated to the lockring so that it doesn't slip off when you are unscrewing the lockring, but you can improvise this tool using a nut, bolt and two fat washers.

Assuming that you don't want to buy the 8 pronged tool, then the only other way I ever done it is to use oil, a hammer and a hook spanner (the free assembly tool that you got if you bought a Raleigh bike many years ago). Remove the washer clip, then use brute force to dislodge the lockring. It takes a bit of time but it can be done this way.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by gthcarolina
    There is an aluminum dust cover around the crank bolt and it has two small holes in it 180 degrees apart.
    It's not a dust cover, it's a one key release.

Turning the 8mm crank bolt counter-clockwise will pull the arm off the spindle. No special puller needed.

mtbr member

Great improv tip

I was thinking of drilling two holes through a piece of wood and tapping finishing nails through at the correct spacing. Now I think I will use a set of parallel grip vise-grips and either the nails or the allen keys. FWIW, I tried it with one small allen key last night but go no leverage. I have the right crank extractor, but thanks for all the mods you suggested.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    gthcarolina - Perhaps I didn't understand your last statement. But Zanetti is correct. You do not need an extractor for those cranks. Simply unscrew the 8mm.