My dog rules!!!

Help, what do I need to adjust?

I looked at the park tool site and see how to adjust the rear derailer but I don't know what to adjust. I don't want to go and mess with all the stuff since it works great 90% of the time. When ever I try to shift into either the biggest or smallest gears on the rear, the chain skips 2 gears. For instance, if I am in the 7th largest gear and shift once, it jumps up to 9. If I am in smallest gear and shift once, it does nothing, then I shift again and it jumps to the 3rd. Is this because the limits are off or do I have a bigger problem?

pronounced may-duh
    If the limits were off then the chain would go too far and fall off the cogset one way or the other. I think you need to adjust the cable. Turn the barrel adjuster clockwise a quarter turn at a time and test between turns until it is fixed. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.

All 26.5" all the time!
    >>For instance, if I am in the 7th largest gear and shift once, it jumps up to 9.<<

This would indicate the cable is too tight. (turn barrel adjuster clockwise)

>>If I am in smallest gear and shift once, it does nothing, then I shift again and it jumps to the 3rd.<<

This would indicate that the cable in not tight enough. (turn barrel adjuster counter-clockwise)

As you can see, there'e more going on than just a cable adjustment.

>>Is this because the limits are off or do I have a bigger problem?<<

Sounds like you've got a dirty/sticky shift cable and housing or a bent derailleur hanger, or maybe both.

My dog rules!!!
    I tried adjusting the tension on the inner wire, I think that fixed it. I was just doing it wrong before I posted. We will see when I get out for a ride tomorrow.