mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Help w/ New Crankset...

I'm in the market as it were to replace an old XT square tapper/World Class Ti BB setup. I've narrowed it down to the RaceFaxe Deus, the 08 XT, or the Truvativ Stylo Carbon setups. Can someone give me some insight to which way to go? Thanks for the input guys and gals!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

My personal preference....

runs to the shimano external bearing cranks. The bearings seem to last longer and IMHO they are easier to set up. But that's just my opinion. Any of the cranksets that you are considering would be a big step up in stiffness and performance from your old XT square taper set up. I can't really help you decide though, it's one of those "up to you" things. All three cranksets are quality built of quality materials and are made by companies that will stand behind their products. So it's pretty much a toss up.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    Any of the cranksets that you are considering would be a big step up in stiffness and performance from your old XT square taper set up.
    If you consider one size fits all, massive bearing drag and poor bb life to be a "big step up in performance". I'm taking delivery of a 2008 Rocky Mountain Element 70 with the new Deus crankset and am seriously considering replacing it with a Middleburn RS7 with 22-32-42 Specialities TA chainrings and a UN-73 square taper bb to match my Middleburn RS7 Duo UN-73 setup on my hardtail which I LOVE!