mtbr member
    Jan 2006

help take my crank off....

im taking the truvativ 5-d crank off my gt avalanche 1.0 disk so i can make it into a single speed jumper. anyways, how do i take the crank arm off, the one with all the gears on it? i took the screw out of the middle of it, now what? i also took all the nuts and bolts out of the gears, so they are loose. i also took my pedal off. do i need a special tool? i just took the crank off my road bike like a three days ago, but ive forgotten what my dad did to help me... so now i need your help because he cant remember either, heh... thanks, nick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    depending upon the design of the connection (eg: ISIS vs other) you will need a 'crank puller' tool (they actually 'push' the arm off, so why are they called 'pullers'?!). your LBS will sell them, and they are not expensive.

take the whole bike down so they can check and provide the right tool.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

thank yo for the help....

i just remembered what tool the puller was, the lil handle guy with the screw attachmenter, thanks again!

p.s. any tips on what bashgaurds would fit on the middle ring of the truvatuv 5-d, are there any higher quality ones than the lil plastic one truvativ makes?
    Last edited by nickgt; 01-09-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgt
    p.s. any tips on what bashgaurds would fit on the middle ring of the truvatuv 5-d, are there any higher quality ones than the lil plastic one truvativ makes?
    The stock plactic should be fine, e-13 has some nice clear plastic also. If you want aluminum you can go RaceFace