SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Help with Sram question, x-7, please Xsram newbie

Crunched my rear deore derailleur, And saw a left and right x-7 triggers and x-7 rear derailleur for 88$.

I did the same thing to the front (deore) derailleur awhile back and now I have a shinny new Shimano XT FD, I was wondering if this will work with the x.7? Sram website doesn’t say anything about front derailleur compatibility. I dont want to just get rid of the xt derailleur.

My main motivation is to get new shifters my old ones are deore. Are the x.7 shifter pods good? What level does x.7 compare with Shimano or should I just get an xt and get it over with?
    Last edited by SLX; 11-10-2005 at 02:45 PM.

Live 2 Ride
    Keep in mind if you get X7 shifters you'll need a X7 rear derailluer. Just so you know. I have heard that and front derailluer works with any SRAM products.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the reply

Sweet so the XT front Derailleur will work with the sram set! This is going to be a cool setup. I’m going to get the pod shifter rear derailleur combo set eventually. At least it will buy more time for riddin till I get the parts in.

I took off my old rear derailleur bent back the hanger, Then sat looking at the mangled detailer decided to take that apart too. Took off the bottom arm and the cogs and but them in a vice and bent them back with pliers. The paint and metal is all messed up but I got the thing to work; probably better than when it was unbent. Did the limit screws and fine tuned it - at least I got a lesson in derailleur physiology and learned how they work (they really aren’t that complex). My pc970 chain links were bent and I didnt have a chain tool so I took off the power link and put it in my broken Shimano HG chain; another tool to buy.

The good thing about the cheaper stuff is at least the metal is soft enough to bend it back!
    Last edited by SLX; 11-10-2005 at 10:53 PM.