mtbr member

HELP shifting problems

I have some bad problems going on, I have not been doing this a long time and do not have a lot of experience with maitenance. so here it goes. First, when I am in lower gears especially while on the large ring in front, and the 3 largest in back. When I back pedal after about 1 revolution my chain starts to travel down the rear set a few rings and eventually gets caught and completely derails. second, when I am riding anytime also when I'm on the largest ring in front and up shifting using my rear derailer I pull the shifter and nothing happens then I pull it agian and it shifts to the correct gear skipping one ring. then I have to down shift to get back into the gear that it skipped. this happens pretty much all the way down the rear set. this only happens when I'm on the bike. when i'm not on it it will shift through all the gears no problem. hopefully this is enough to get some tips, if you need more info let me know. Thanks a lot guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    1. Avoid cross chaining - that is, using the biggest front chain ring with the biggest rear one. Instead, shift to the middle front ring.
    2. Try to tighten the "Low" limit screw on your rear mech. "Low" usually is the lower and farther from the wheel of two screws on the back of rear derailleur.
    3. To fix the gear skipping problem, try to loosen the rear cable a bit. You may do it using the adjustment barrel on the shifter - turn it clockwise.