mtbr member
    May 2007

Help - rotor mount - How to fix?

I thought about posting this is the braking forum, but I've already decided to replace the rotor. My main issue is what is the best way to fix the rest of the rear hub? So here's my dilemma:

I was riding through a rock garden on my brand new Superlight and didnít quite make it over a rock. The back end of the bike came up, I bailed, and the rear rotor came down on a rock. The rotor bent and Iím just going to replace that, but I also bent the mount that attaches the rotor to the rear hub. With my Deore hub, the rotor is riveted to the mount. Iím not an expert about what I can do to fix this, but I was thinking I of the following options:

1. Source an Avid rotor that is already riveted to the mount
    2. Source an Avid rotor and a 6 point bolt rotor mount (like from an XT hub) and attach the rotor with bolts.
    3. Source an Avid rotor and a new rear hub (maybe an XT hub).
    4. Just buy a brand new rear wheel and hub and call it a day.

I'm attaching some pictures that show where the rock impacted the rotor/rivet/rotor mount area and where the rotor mount has deformed (at the rivet)

What is everyoneís thoughts?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by vtbandit
    I thought about posting this is the braking forum, but I've already decided to replace the rotor. My main issue is what is the best way to fix the rest of the rear hub? So here's my dilemma:

I was riding through a rock garden on my brand new Superlight and didnít quite make it over a rock. The back end of the bike came up, I bailed, and the rear rotor came down on a rock. The rotor bent and Iím just going to replace that, but I also bent the mount that attaches the rotor to the rear hub. With my Deore hub, the rotor is riveted to the mount. Iím not an expert about what I can do to fix this, but I was thinking I of the following options:

1. Source an Avid rotor that is already riveted to the mount
    2. Source an Avid rotor and a 6 point bolt rotor mount (like from an XT hub) and attach the rotor with bolts.
    3. Source an Avid rotor and a new rear hub (maybe an XT hub).
    4. Just buy a brand new rear wheel and hub and call it a day.

I'm attaching some pictures that show where the rock impacted the rotor/rivet/rotor mount area and where the rotor mount has deformed (at the rivet)

What is everyoneís thoughts?
    The black part (mount) is a permanent part of the rotor. Replace the rotor and the are replacing the mount.

BUT the braking track on that rotor is too narrow for the Avid brake (look how far down the arm the wear line is). Use an Avid rotor with a Centerlock to 6-bolt adaptor.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

achiever
    Your going to need to get the correct Avid rotor for your application and a center lock adapter to mount the new disc to your hub. There are 2 different brands to choose from at pricepoint.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The black part (mount) is a permanent part of the rotor. Replace the rotor and the are replacing the mount.

BUT the braking track on that rotor is too narrow for the Avid brake (look how far down the arm the wear line is). Use an Avid rotor with a Centerlock to 6-bolt adaptor.
    Where do I buy a rotor like that? When I go to the online stores (pricepoint, jensonusa, performance bike...) all I see are bare rotors that are designed to accept the 6 bolts. None are pictured with the mount.

I noticed how the pads are contacting arms (the fronts are the same way) and have that on my list of things to fix. So say I wanted to replace the rear rotor and move the calipers out, what should I buy and where could I buy them. I apologize for the ignorance. I haven't done this before.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by vtbandit
    Where do I buy a rotor like that? When I go to the online stores (pricepoint, jensonusa, performance bike...) all I see are bare rotors that are designed to accept the 6 bolts. None are pictured with the mount.

I noticed how the pads are contacting arms (the fronts are the same way) and have that on my list of things to fix. So say I wanted to replace the rear rotor and move the calipers out, what should I buy and where could I buy them. I apologize for the ignorance. I haven't done this before.
    If by move the caliper out you mean further from the axle to get it off the rotor arms, do not do it. It will cause worse problems.

You have the wrong rotors. The outer diameter is correct but the inner braking surface diameter is not. Refer to the other replies in this thread for what/where.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok, so I went to SRAM's website and the Juicy 3's that are on my bike are supposed to use the Avid G2 clean sweep rotors. In the pictures in my first post, you can tell that the bike was outfitted with Shimano rotors. I understand now why you were say that the rotors are wrong. Should I call Santa Cruz and complain that they used the Shimano rotors with the Avid calipers?

I went to pricepoint and found the DT Swiss Center Lock (IST) Adapter for $30 a piece and the Avid G2 clean sweep rotors for $40 a piece. Thanks for everyone's help.