mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Help removing an xtr cassette...

I took the lock ring off and the cassette still will not come off. Is there another step with this cassette? It is on a king hub.

Thanks!

Rob

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by RobPaterson
    I took the lock ring off and the cassette still will not come off. Is there another step with this cassette? It is on a king hub.

Thanks!

Rob
    lightly tap the smallest cogs with a plastic hammer if you have one. they're dug into the freehub body a little. use a beater screwdriver handle or something if you don't have a plastic hammer. or use a steel hammer gently.

ups and downs
    and more specifically, tap them lightly in the reverse direction from drive pressure. You can also use a piece of wood as a striking surface for the hammer.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    someone correct me if i'm wrong but I'm assuming you are using a chain-whip in addition to the cassette remover....

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara
    someone correct me if i'm wrong but I'm assuming you are using a chain-whip in addition to the cassette remover....
    The OP said "I took the lock ring off and the cassette still will not come off." Sounds like he's past that point. The small cogs are just dug into the freehub body most likely.

EDR
    + whatever everyone else said.......the cogs have dug into the freehub body. Do whatever you need to do to dislodge them. Banging them in the opposite direction is a good idea. Then pull.

Members who have read this thread: 0