mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Help to Remove and service Hub on a Diamondback Atroz please

It's got sand in it and it grinds.. Need to clean it or replace it.. Diamondback told me this is a Novatek hub.. I cannot seem to find much on it.. Here is a pic.

Ok, I got down to here and it look like I need a special tool to take this off.. I thought the Park Tool Freewheel remover would be the one.. But it too small to fit this one.. Any tips on this?Help to Remove and service Hub on a Diamondback Atroz please-img_9962.jpg
    Last edited by Chuck$ter; 11-02-2016 at 12:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Ok so I spent the entire evening watching youtube videos.. The reason this one was so confusing is that it uses a 12mm through axle.. Going to pull the sleeve out and I need to remove the Disc Rotor to clear enough to pull out..

Soo...it appears I will need the giagantic 15mm Allen Key to get it off.. Also, I learned that the 2 slots shown in my picture are to actually take the Hub apart (with the right tool). I may try to take it apart if I cannot get it smooth from soaking and relubing.. if not I'll just replace it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qBk5pePGRg

Seems like a pain in the ass.. But I really want to learn this stuff.. It helps me not worry about riding in muddy conditions. An afternoon spent cleaning the hub in the garage is better than having the bike down for a week at the LBS. for the record, working on my Corvette is less confusing than this..

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Is it the axle bearings or the freehub you are trying to service?
    For the axle, you just replace those balls and clean up and grease.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Is it the axle bearings or the freehub you are trying to service?
    For the axle, you just replace those balls and clean up and grease.
    Its the freehub that needs the service.. The axle is smooth as glass.. the freehub sounds like it has a pound of sand in it while turning..

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck$ter View Post
    It's got sand in it and it grinds.. Need to clean it or replace it.. Diamondback told me this is a Novatek hub.. I cannot seem to find much on it.. Here is a pic.

Ok, I got down to here and it look like I need a special tool to take this off.. I thought the Park Tool Freewheel remover would be the one.. But it too small to fit this one.. Any tips on this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9962.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	1103212
    Many hubs use the 15mm hex wrench. The hard part is finding a 15mm hex wrench. The other hard part is getting the freehub loose. I had one I could never crack, just gave in a lubed it over and over and lived with the grinding noise.

Good luck with this one!
    Try this: HTFU

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck$ter View Post

.. Also, i learned that the 2 slots shown in my picture are to actually take the hub apart (with the right tool). I may try to take it apart if i cannot get it smooth from soaking and relubing.. If not i'll just replace it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qbk5pepgrg

Be careful, that´s reverse threaded!

Good luck
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I want to say thanks for all the support guys. You gave me the confidence to tackle this job. I chatted online with a Diamondback rep and he said the hex nut was a 14mm.. Sounded different from every other video and procedure I looked at.. What the hell I took the wheel to the local AutoZone and tried a 14mm Hex Socket. It fit like it was born there!
    Help to Remove and service Hub on a Diamondback Atroz please-2016-11-02-20.43.04.jpg
    It was a 1/2" socket and I used my breaker bar to pop it off..
    Help to Remove and service Hub on a Diamondback Atroz please-2016-11-02-21.09.06.jpg
    Help to Remove and service Hub on a Diamondback Atroz please-2016-11-02-20.42.07.jpg

Now I have everything I need to service this any time I need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help to Remove and service Hub on a Diamondback Atroz please-2016-11-02-20.43.04.jpg  

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck$ter View Post
    I want to say thanks for all the support guys. You gave me the confidence to tackle this job. I chatted online with a Diamondback rep and he said the hex nut was a 14mm.. Sounded different from every other video and procedure I looked at.. What the hell I took the wheel to the local AutoZone and tried a 14mm Hex Socket. It fit like it was born there!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-11-02 20.43.04.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	1103462
    It was a 1/2" socket and I used my breaker bar to pop it off..

Name:	2016-11-02 21.09.06.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	1103463

Name:	2016-11-02 20.42.07.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	1103464

Now I have everything I need to service this any time I need.
    Congratulations! It is nice to fix something like this rather than just start new, good job on the follow through, I will have to check out autozone for that size of driver. Never though about using a socket wrench.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks, I got lucky on the socket since it fits inside the hub. I soaked the Freehub in mineral spirits overnight and kept spinning it till all the sand crap came out. I may post a picture of the debris that came out..

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Happy to report wheel and Bike are back together and smooth and quiet as ever.. I used Bar and Chain oil on the freehub. That is some great stuff.