Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005

New question here. HELP! New drivetrain feels "rough"

Just installed new chain, chainrings, cassette, and shift cables. Chain has the same number of links as before. Everything seems to be shifting fine, etc., but for some reason there is some "roughness" in the middle cogs of the cassette when pedalling lightly. The "roughness" seems to smooth out a bit when pedalling with more torque. I have ruled out bad pedal bearings. I didn't notice this "roughness" with the old drivetrain. Is there something I'm missing? Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Roughness in the middle cogs? That's the sweetspot in your overall chainline. It should be perfect there. I would verify your rear derailleur cable adjustment first. Running on a workstand should mimic your light pedalling situation.

Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005

That's what I don't understand...

glenk,

thanks for the reply. It seems fine when on the workstand, not overly "noisy", and shifts fine. I only feel the "roughness" or "feedback" through my feet when I am actually on the bike and pedalling. Maybe I am being overly sensitive since it is a new drivetrain, but I really think something is out of adjustment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    HT or FS? If the latter, what kind of bike? If FS, you may not be duplicating the problem on your stand since the chainline is different without the sag. Also, the chain might be rubbing somewhere (e.g., bottom of the FD cage) under normal sag (light pedaling), but not under harder pedaling inducing more sag. Like glenk pointed out, it's kinda weird that it's only happening in the middle cogs.

Boyeeee
    If it's an FS bike, is your housing long enough? Suspension compression (sag or otherwise) can extend the cables causing rough drivetrain feel or ghost shifting in the extreme case.

bi-winning
    Honestly, when replacing a chain, i feel that it is a little less smooth than before. The feeling goes away after a couple of rides.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005
    Thanks rkj. I will give it a few rides and check it from there...