mtbr member
    Nov 2009

help me tighten Stan's ZTR rear hub

How does one tighten a Stan's ZTR rear hub?

I removed the end caps and free hub body but there's nothing obvious to tweak. Please send suggestions 'cause I'd love to ride tomorrow!

FT

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ? tighten?

What is loose?

If you feel its like cones on a traditional wheel, then the endcaps or something around them will have a preload adjustment - perhaps a grub screw you loosen. Preload is very slight only, just enough to hold the endcaps in place is usually sufficient.

Anything else will require shop assistance usually.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    ? tighten?

What is loose?

If you feel its like cones on a traditional wheel, then the endcaps or something around them will have a preload adjustment - perhaps a grub screw you loosen. Preload is very slight only, just enough to hold the endcaps in place is usually sufficient.

Anything else will require shop assistance usually.
    The hub is loose. If you grab the wheel and move it back and forth there is a lot of play.

It's got to be simple to tighten...I just don't know how. This particular hub does not have cones as in a 'conventional' hub. With the end caps removed, it looks like the sealed bearing cartridges are right there. There must be something inside, beneath the bearings that allows one to adjust the load on the bearings.

As for a shop, there is not one anywhere near my house out in the boonies. Also, it's Sunday and I'd love to ride if I can fix the loose hub!
    Last edited by fast_twitch; 11-28-2010 at 05:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Try a 5 mm allen key in each end to snug them up

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

doesn't change looseness

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer
    Try a 5 mm allen key in each end to snug them up
    All the 5 mm end caps do is hold everything in place. They do not change the load on the bearings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

found problem with loose ZTR

I took apart the hub.

1. I first removed the end caps with 5 mm allen keys.
    2. The freehub body was removed by lifting upwards.
    3. Then the axle was removed by gently tapping with a rubber mallet from the rotor side.

There are three sealed cartridges; one in the free hub body and two in the hub itself. One of the cartridges disintegrated, which caused the hub to loosen. The remnants of the broken sealed bearing are on the axle (one seal is on the wooden block).

I'll take assembly photos as soon as the new cartridge arrives.

F_T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help me tighten Stan's ZTR rear hub-axle.jpg  

Last edited by fast_twitch; 11-29-2010 at 06:12 PM.