breathing helium

Help me set up a 1x5 geared bike...

I'm sorry because I think this has been covered before, but the "1x5" search throws an error.

I have a rigid 29er SS that I want to set up as a 1x5. It has a Chris King SS disc rear hub and H Bars. I am going to use XT cranks with a Salsa bash ring and N-Gear Jumpstop. For shifting I am going to use a Paul Thumbie and Dura Ace shifter combined with an XTR short cage derailleur. I will also have to run full length housing since the frame has no cable stops. I was thinking of the adhesive ones that you then use a zip tie to attached the cable.

Assuming all of this looks ok, what brand of cogs should I use to fit on the King hub? Can I even fit 5 on there? Also, how do you go about limiting the derailleur and shifter to only 5 gears? Any ideas on the gear spacing? Still 11-34?

Anything else that I am missing?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    1 x 5?

You might get 4 cogs on there, not 5.

The limit screws limit how far the derailleur can move. Shifter...think about it for a moment.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

neutiquam erro
    I dunno if this may be helpful, but it's an interesting discussion.

Cheers, Chris

breathing helium
    Thanks shiggy and chris. Yes, those links are very helpful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Note on mtbr forums searches

the forum search doesn't accept searches less than 4 characters, which is why you didn't get anything with 1x5

A better option is to use google (or other search engine) to search the site. If you put the following in google:

1x5 site:forums.mtbr.com

you will get 1x5 results from the mtbr forums. Here is the full google search link if you want it
    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=+1...s=&safe=images

Master of None
    With my XT derailleur the limit screws were not long enough to run 5 cogs. (9 speed.) The Saint derailleur was fine.

Also, if you do what I did and take out every other cog on a LX 9 speed cassette, the shift ramps won't line up correctly any more. I was able to get the ramps pretty close by moving the cogs relative to one another on the freehub splines.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    With my XT derailleur the limit screws were not long enough to run 5 cogs. (9 speed.) The Saint derailleur was fine.

Also, if you do what I did and take out every other cog on a LX 9 speed cassette, the shift ramps won't line up correctly any more. I was able to get the ramps pretty close by moving the cogs relative to one another on the freehub splines.
    1. you can put in a longer screw.

2. Still shifts just fine without the ramps aligned "correctly."

3. How did you do that? The cog/FH splines are keyed to prevent this.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    1. you can put in a longer screw.

2. Still shifts just fine without the ramps aligned "correctly."

3. How did you do that? The cog/FH splines are keyed to prevent this.
    You could put in a longer screw or you could take out the plastic thread locking plate and use blue Loctite.

Now, I'm talking about 9 speed indexed shifting; I'm not sure what type of setup you have experience with. With friction shifters ramps aren't needed. It shifted ok without the ramps lined up, a little flakey. It shifts good with the ramps lined up as best I could. Not great, but pretty good.

I opened up the "key" spline so I could index the cog any way I wanted to. On two of the cogs the teeth were divisible by 9 so moving the splines had no effect unfortunately.