mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Help me remove cassette

First time for everything, no?

I need to get my cassette off in order to replace a spoke. Unthread the retention thingy, get the 11 cog and the next one up off. Aha, the cassette proper. I pull, expecting the usual gritty slide off of the freehub. No dice. This thing is not moving at all. I try all manner of brute force, not a budge. I hit it with some spray lube and let that sit overniht thinking that might dissolve some of the apparent cement between the cogs and the freehub. When I try again this morning, still no movement.

Any thoughts. I though about just ripping the damn thing off one cog at a time, but it's a relatively new cassette. I'm willing to accept its demise if that's what it's going to take.

Help a brother out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well what kind of cassette is it? My shimano lx/xt come off as a whole group once the retaining ring and small cog come off. There's no way to remove them one at a time once the first part is removed. And there's no way for it to bond like yours has either as it just sits on the freewheel. What kind of bike?

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    First time for everything, no?

I need to get my cassette off in order to replace a spoke. Unthread the retention thingy, get the 11 cog and the next one up off. Aha, the cassette proper. I pull, expecting the usual gritty slide off of the freehub. No dice. This thing is not moving at all. I try all manner of brute force, not a budge. I hit it with some spray lube and let that sit overniht thinking that might dissolve some of the apparent cement between the cogs and the freehub. When I try again this morning, still no movement.

Any thoughts. I though about just ripping the damn thing off one cog at a time, but it's a relatively new cassette. I'm willing to accept its demise if that's what it's going to take.

Help a brother out.
    Sounds like some cogs have dug into the freehub body a little, no worries. Get something to grip the end of the freehub body with to keep it from rotating and tap the cogs gently in the direction of backpedalling, counter-clockwise.

If you have 2 chainwhips reinstall the 11 tooth cog and lockring, leave the next one off. Use the chainwhips to turn the 11 tooth clockwise and the others counter-clockwise. It'll only move a little bit, try each cog with the whip.

Monte
    Last edited by Monte; 01-18-2006 at 08:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As for kind of cassette, Sram. Yeah, the better part of the body should come off together. I was going to go bezerker on it and rip it off. Bad idea.

As for the two chain whip method, couldn't I just use the cassette removal tool to hold the cassette while pushing counter clockwise with the chain whip? And what causes the cassette to dig into the free hub body?

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    As for kind of cassette, Sram. Yeah, the better part of the body should come off together. I was going to go bezerker on it and rip it off. Bad idea.

As for the two chain whip method, couldn't I just use the cassette removal tool to hold the cassette while pushing counter clockwise with the chain whip? And what causes the cassette to dig into the free hub body?
    You could, but you stand a chance of overtightening the lockring, possibly stripping the threads, they aren't meant to take very much torque. 2 chainwhips would be better, they're fairly inexpensive.

I'm making an assumption on the type of cassette you have, looking at the inside of the cassette through the spokes is the granny gear cog just a flat plate, or do you see a spider with all the cogs riveted to it? I'm assuming the first type, and it's the flat plate type of cogs that dig into the freehub body a little that's giving you grief.

Monte