mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Help me pick a drivetrain

I have two bikes that I am consolidated into one and selling off all the other parts. I need to pick between which drivetrain to keep between the two listed below. Or I could mix and match a few things. I would appreciate your thoughts.

1998 or 99 full 8 speed XTR - Trigger shifters are in excellent shape. I will probably need to replace the cassette and chainrings soon (and chainrings are very expensive for these cranks)
    8 speed XTR shift/brake lever
    XTR 952 cranks
    XTR cassette
    9 speed XT front der
    XTR 952 short cage rear der

Almost new Hodgpodge Sram
    2005 Sram x.9 trigger shifters/XTR 952 brake levers
    2005 LX crankset (external bearing)
    Sram 9 speed cassette
    XT front der
    Sram x.0 rear der

Again, let me know which drivetrain, or what pieces you would keep
    [

No longer 26

Sram...no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS
    I have two bikes that I am consolidated into one and selling off all the other parts. I need to pick between which drivetrain to keep between the two listed below. Or I could mix and match a few things. I would appreciate your thoughts.

1998 or 99 full 8 speed XTR - Trigger shifters are in excellent shape. I will probably need to replace the cassette and chainrings soon (and chainrings are very expensive for these cranks)
    8 speed XTR shift/brake lever
    XTR 952 cranks
    XTR cassette
    9 speed XT front der
    XTR 952 short cage rear der

Almost new Hodgpodge Sram
    2005 Sram x.9 trigger shifters/XTR 952 brake levers
    2005 LX crankset (external bearing)
    Sram 9 speed cassette
    XT front der
    Sram x.0 rear der

Again, let me know which drivetrain, or what pieces you would keep
    The reason is that they are more current model parts and probably work as well if not better in most conditions than XTR in my experience. XTR will be lighter though if you are a racer / weight wienie type.

Greg

Elitest thrill junkie
    That almost new sram hodgepodge will be far heavier;

The SRAM cassette is a good 60g heavier than the XTR.

The SRAM X9 shifters are not very light, heavier than the shimano XT and XTR rapid fire shifters.

That LX cassette is a good deal heavier than your XTR, it is a bit stiffer, but there isn't a huge advantage to it.

The XTR derailer is a good deal lighter than the X9, about 40g difference.

I'd just replace the shimano stuff as it wears. Items like cassettes, chains and chainrings are going to wear out no matter what. Derailers will need pulleys replaced every once and a while, but while you may get a "new" drivetrain by switching to all the sram stuff, it won't be lighter, and the long term durability is a question mark, your shimano stuff has lasted a long time, and the sram stuff from the same era (gripshift SRT-800s, old ESP9.0 derailers, etc) is crap now due to the plastic peices wearing out and flaws in the designs (the derailers). If you like to run parts for a long period of time, I'd stick with the proven stuff.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.