mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Help me pick a chain

I'm new to bike mechanics/tinkering. (I replaced my front derauiller last night - What an adventure!) I need to now replace my chain. One LBS has a Shimano IG 90 and another has a SRAM PC 68. My Shimano crankset says use only IG chains. The cynic in me wonders if this is to sell more of their own chains. Will the SRAM chain work? I have a SRAM 850 11-32, 8 speed cassette, LX front derauiller, and am putting on a XT RD tonight.

Would like to buy the chain today. I appreciate your input.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooler
    I'm new to bike mechanics/tinkering. (I replaced my front derauiller last night - What an adventure!) I need to now replace my chain. One LBS has a Shimano IG 90 and another has a SRAM PC 68. My Shimano crankset says use only IG chains. The cynic in me wonders if this is to sell more of their own chains. Will the SRAM chain work? I have a SRAM 850 11-32, 8 speed cassette, LX front derauiller, and am putting on a XT RD tonight.

Your drivetrain (chain, cassette, and front chainrings) all wear together. Changeing the chain can result in the new chain slipping over the teeth on your existing gears. There are ways you can measure chain wear to see if it has gone too far. At this point just keep your old chain just in case. I have used SRAM chains (I like them better) on Shimano cassettes before.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Rohloff SLT99

In my opinion the best 8spd chain ever made. I run them on all my 8spd bikes. I get about 1/3 more miles out of them compared to Shimano or Sachs/Sram chains.

As far as the Shimano only chain thing goes the cynic in you is right. You can use pretty much any chain you want. Given the 2 choices you have listed I would go with the PC68.

Ride Instigator

Good job! Sram

I prefer SRAM (will work fine with your Shimano stuff). Shimano uses a special pin to join the chain together that can NOT be re-used where SRAM uses the "Power Link" that CAN be re-used...anyhow, SRAM is a good ol' American company .

As the poster above says, your cassette and/or rings *might* be worn to match your "streached" chain. I usually replace the chain and see what happens. My test is to try climbing in one of the smaller cogs on the rear, if skipping occurs...replace your cassette. Examine your chainrings...if they appear to be hooked or if skipping or "chainsuck" is happening up front, you may need chainrings as well. Sometimes you can get away with only replacing your smallest and middle rings cuz if you're like a lot of people, you dont use the big ring all that much.

Yup, replacing your chain can be a can-o-worms sometimes .