dwt
    mtbr member

Help me decide on which platform is best

Currently own 2 bikes:

HT Chinese carbon XC bike with a 4" travel fork that weighs about 24 Lbs with 650b wheels. Also FS 5" trail bike w/650b weighing 30 lbs with alloy frame and a dropper post.

I was running the HT 1X9 and the FS 2X9 until I broke two front shifters in a 2 week period. Wanting to ride the dually while waiting for new shifter, I removed the front der and swapped the crank on the HT (which has a 31T ring in a bashwhich. Found that the extra 6 lbs in weight has put a hurt on me climbing early season. 1X9 too much for my old body on the heavier ride.

So I've been buying swag on EBay left and right. Splined X9 crank, 10 speed clutch rear der. + shifter, 10 speed chain.

I'm thinking of these possibilities: restoring the HT to 1X9 and running the dualie either:

1) 2X10 with 32T/22T up front & 11-36 in back; OR

2) Get a Wolf Tooth 30T to put on spline crank, and run it 1X10 with the same 11-36 cassette.

I've checked the gear ratios on my IGear app and given my strength level probably would be happier overall with 2X10. But I'm a fan of 1X, think the spline crank and chainring is the ****, and could survive and get stronger 1x10 with that tiny front ring.

Actually, I think I just answered my own question. Went to Wolf Tooth site, and apparently no 30T in production yet.

I could get a North Shore Billet or an E13 splined 30T immediately, but in either of those cases would need a chain guide (no bashwich possible as no drilling in the rings). The Wolf Tooth does not require guide with clutch rear der. because of alternating long teeth. That is just the PERFECT thing IMO. 1X should be about taking stuff off the bike, not taking stuff off and then adding new stuff on. Am I right, or what?

So, unless someone has a better idea, I will ride the dualie 2X until Wolf Tooth starts selling 30T ring. Then 1X10.

Old enough to know better and old enough not to care. Best age to be.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think you just answered your own question a few times. But now I have a question to help you think a bit more. Wolf Tooth has a 32t direct mount. How hard would 2 more teeth be? I just installed my 34t Wolf Tooth today. Riding on the weekend so no idea how it works yet.