Sir Crashalot

Help me choose a new XC Crankset

It's for a XC rig, so weight is important, and I don't want to spend $500. Here are my choices so far:

FSA Afterburner w/ BB, about 748g

Ritchey WCS V w/ BB, about 734g

Truvativ Stylo Team GXP, integrated BB, 880g

Shimano XT M760, integrated BB, 860g

Thanks.

Sir Crashalot
    Anyone have any info on the Ritchey WCS V? It's light, and about mid-priced; but, I haven't read anything about it here. Tried searching.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Go with Shimano XTR 960 or FSA K-Force Mega Exo these are the 2 best crankssets out there in my opinion, both can be had for under 500 if you look around I thinks Richards has both sets well under 500. good luck. I found my xtr 960's on ebay for around 400.00!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    got my K Force for $400 out the door.....still too much but I had to have em!

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Supergo has the Race Face Deuss XC's for $220 including external bearing bottom bracket and 3 rings. They weigh about 820g, again including bottom bracket and 3 rings. I have the Evolve XC's, which are very similar to the Duess except about $100 cheaper and and 100g heavier. They're nice cranks and I'm quite happy with them. Look nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDesertRider
    Supergo has the Race Face Deuss XC's for $220 including external bearing bottom bracket and 3 rings. They weigh about 820g, again including bottom bracket and 3 rings. I have the Evolve XC's, which are very similar to the Duess except about $100 cheaper and and 100g heavier. They're nice cranks and I'm quite happy with them. Look nice too.
    Deus in my humble opinion are by far the best bang for the buck, especially when you consider their relatively low weight. I had em on my Rocky Mountain and dug em

Sir Crashalot
    Thanks for the replies.

For now, I think I'll go with the FSA Afterburner w/ American Classic BB = 739g.

I'll be shedding 192g with this set up, and it weighs less than the M760 XTR and is less than half the price.

for completeness....just be aware that many folks (including me) will blab on about ISIS being the worst of the the 3 options available to consumers with square taper and external bearings being better. The AM Classic are known to not be the most robust either but if weight is your priority, no worries.

cheers

Epic XC rider

What about RaceFace Deus?

Sizes: 170, 175 or 180mm crank arms
    All aluminium hardware
    Weight: 820g (175mm cranks w/rings and bb)
    The silver looks the dogs bollocks as well, shiny and clean!

I have the 180mm after swapping out a 175mm XT and will never go back, the lightning-quick upshifts are great, very precise....