mtbr member
    Sep 2005

help! LX bb-kona dawg problems

I have just bought a 2004 kona dawg prima frame, I have been striping my old hard tail and fitting all the goodies to my new frame. Everything has been going well, except when I tried to tighten down my crank arm on to the BB. The high and low chain ring rub and grate against the chain stay linkage. I have a shimano XT es71 68-113 hollow tech, octalink bottom bracket and a shimano LX M752 hollow tech, octalink crank arms. What am I doing wrong? Do I need a different BB? Do I need a different crank? I am not a pro mechanic but I have always done my own mechanic work with out trouble. This is not the first FS I have owned or replaced a drive train on, but this is the first time I have had this problem. Some one please tell me how to fix my bike so I can get it off my stand and into the hills!

thanks. ratman

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmanjr
    I have just bought a 2004 kona dawg prima frame, I have been striping my old hard tail and fitting all the goodies to my new frame. Everything has been going well, except when I tried to tighten down my crank arm on to the BB. The high and low chain ring rub and grate against the chain stay linkage. I have a shimano XT es71 68-113 hollow tech, octalink bottom bracket and a shimano LX M752 hollow tech, octalink crank arms. What am I doing wrong? Do I need a different BB? Do I need a different crank? I am not a pro mechanic but I have always done my own mechanic work with out trouble. This is not the first FS I have owned or replaced a drive train on, but this is the first time I have had this problem. Some one please tell me how to fix my bike so I can get it off my stand and into the hills!

thanks. ratman
    If you have an LX M572 (not M752, that is XT) crankset you need a ES51 BB which has the axle offset to the drive side just for that crank. The BB you need will be a ES51 68-121 for a 47.5 mm chainline, which should work on your bike, or a ES51 68-126 for a 50 mm chainline, which allows more chainstay clearance but makes shifting performance a lot worse and shouldn't be required for that bike.

If you have XT M752 crankset, then the ES71 68-113 BB will give you a 47.5 mm chainline and the ES71 68-118 BB will give you a 50 mm chainline.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thanks a ton gear head, you are the wind beneath my wings!!!!!!!!