Scuffed

Help lightening my crankset

So what can I do about lightening my crankset. I have a Raceface Ride DH, 2 ring and bash crankset at 1250g total. Is the weight mostly in the RaceFace Ride DH arms or also the double chain rings and bash. Can I just leave the x-type bb in there and just swap the rest or do I need to do things with spacers etc if I swap from a double to a triple. Can I just plonk an Evolve triple straight in. If the weight is mainly in the crank arms, so can I just bolt some lighter ones on like the Evolve XC arms. I've never had any experience with cranksets so would get a mechanic to do it but just want to know mainly what cranks/set/rings, I should be keeping an eye out for cheap.
    [SIZE=4]NO REIGN NO GAIN
    ......MMmmmm
    [/SIZE]

Do It Yourself
    Honestly, it's all of the above. That's a DH setup so the crank and bb are all beefcake. If you're worried about weight, get a full Evolve XC setup. The bottom bracket isn't that much more. Or maybe look at the latest LX cranks. Those go for about $125 on eBay (includes bb) and are dead simple to put in yourself.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Homebrew is correct....

It's not just the rings or the crank arms it's the whole set. The RF DH stuff is HEAVY DUTY and bullet proof. But with that kind of strength comes a penalty, usually weight!

I would suggest the Shimano LX at 927g or the Race Face Deus or Shimano XT at 825 and 850g respectively. The LX is the best bang for the buck, but the heavier of the three. But you'd still be saving over 300g, that's a shade better than 2/3's of a pound. The XT or the Deuse would save you righ at a pound.

The bottom line is, it ain't any one part of your crankset that's heavy, it's the whole thing!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    I like the Race Face Deus crankset but if you decided to try it be prepared to get a new bb cause based on my experience the Race Face bb failed on me within the first 100 miles . Replaced it with a XTR bb and its been smooth sailing (riding) since then. Also put some Extralite Octaramp rings on it just to pimp it out a bit. I went with the Deus because I liked the all silver crankarms and it was lightest for the money. Didn't think that the crankarms would be the only thing that i would be using whenever i bought the set

Scuffed
    What about Shimano Hone. How heavy are they with double rings and bash. I can get the arms and BB and aparently they weigh 689g.
    [SIZE=4]NO REIGN NO GAIN
    ......MMmmmm
    [/SIZE]