mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Help! I think I ruined my freinds crankarm!

My girlfriends brother doesnt ride clipless pedals and has big downhill flats on his Kona Mokomoko. I was borrowing his bike while in limbo (selling my bike) and I think I may have ruined the right crank arm on his Race Face Prodigy Set. I was trying to put his pedals back on--tightening them with a crescent wrench (first mistake) and cranking on them hard without apparently making sure they were going in straight (second mistake) then I went out to test ride it and the pedal started gyro-wobbling and just came off (third mistake). When I put the bike back on the stand this is what I found:

I'm guessing the threads on the right crank arm are shot unless someone with a shred of intelligence or creativity (clearly not me) can think of anything different. I really don't want to have to buy a whole new crankset. I'm not sure if you can just buy one arm or what. Someone throw me a freaking bone here??? TYIA

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    That it to a shop and have them put a Helicoil in. Basically it replaces the damaged threads with a steel insert. Works great.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Awesome, I'll go check it out tomorrow, thanks very much.

Are you talking to me?

Shiggy is right.

A Helicoil should do the trick. If not, a replacement is not a big deal.
    gfy