mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Help with front derailleur on 2x9 22/32 crank, no bash

OK, I've got my Niner EMD almost dialed in just the way I want it, except the front derailleur. I'm running a 2x9 grip shift with 22/32 up front and 11-34 in the back which is perfect for the rocky hills around here. I do not have a bash guard in the outer position because the crank is an older XT model with the integrated spider/ large chainring and I simply cut the chainring off leaving the spider and no ability to mount a guard. I've never used a bashguard anyway because I just don't tend to bash into things with my crank.

I'm using an X-9 3x9 front derailleur with the limit screw set to keep it from shifting out too far. The problem is, if I set the limit so the chain doesn't rub in the 32-11 position I can't keep the chain from overshifting off the 32t to the outside when shifting up. It seems like this is happening because the cage is so high above the 32t ring. I have it lowered as far as is can go without hitting the chainstay but there's still about a 3/4"-1" gap.

Or maybe that isn't the problem. Can it be the chainring?

I think the answer might be to get a 2x10 derailleur since they are supposed to be have a shorter cage, but they are also not designed for the gear range I'm running. I've searched the forums and it seems like people have been able to get this setup to work with a 3x front derailleur so I'm not sure what the best move is.

Any advice?

mtbr member
    May 2012

Re: Help with front derailleur on 2x9 22/32 crank, no bash

Maybe you can try to rotate the FD a little, back cage outwards. That will allow you to dial the H-screw in a little, without having the chain rub more

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Leech73 View Post
    Maybe you can try to rotate the FD a little, back cage outwards. That will allow you to dial the H-screw in a little, without having the chain rub more
    I did exactly what you said and guess what? It worked! A friend told me to try it with the cage rotated in, which didn't work, and I think I tried moving it every way but rotated out. I just tried about 20 shifts in the stand with no over shifts. It's a little sluggish shifting up and down but I can live with that.

Thanks! I'll give it a trail test tomorrow but I'm pretty psyched I don't have to buy a new FD.