mtbr member
    Nov 2010

help...difference in x7 and the x9

Bear with me as I am a bit new to this, but I am looking at doing a ride bild up and have the choice between a package with the x7 package and another with the x9 package. Other then the price can you guys help me make a good decision on which I should go with.

Rub it............
    X9 shifters, X7 rear derailleur, XT front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    not sure what that means? Is the x9 that much better to warrant the additional$$$$$

mtbr member
    XT front derailleurs some claim work better than the Sram ones.
    The bike with the X9 package probably has better brakes and cranks etc. I would be happy with a X7 or X9 drive train. The brakes, wheels and fork would influence me more than the drive train in my choice of bike. On a custom build I would probably end up with a mixture of parts. I think what scout76 is saying is if on a budget spend more dollars on the shifters than the derailleur and use shimano for the front derailleur.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    x9 is a next level. You dont get better components for less money.

mtbr member
    I was looking at this as well, going to be doing this for a full drivetrain overhaul to a 1x9 set-up on my bike soon. Going to pricepoint.com I can get a pg990 cassette, x9 rear shifter, x9 med cage der, and pc991 chain for about $210, going with the X7 version of these parts saves me about $50 all together.
    The SRAM rep I met with at a local demp day recently said I'd likely not really notice the difference between the X7 or X9 when riding, might notice a little crisper shift but if you are pedalling and setting your line for a situation where you'll also be shifting you won't really notice it.
    My LBS said when I get ready to order it the price difference with them between X7 and X9 was so small they would make it worth my while to go with X9. When I get ready to pull the trigger if I can get X9 gear for $20-40 more than X7 I'll probably do it but I'm not going to pay allot more to get it.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.