Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help diagnose a few Shifting problems!!

630 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  kray 
#1 ·
First off I want to say I'm glad I found these forums. I have learned so much in the last four days about mounting bikes it's insane.

I just bought a used full suspension mountain bike and I'm in the process of getting it ready for the trails. I'm new to mountain biking and I want to do as much as I can so I can learn the bike and how to do my own maintenance.

I apologize in advance if I don't use the correct terms for parts, but as I mentioned, I'm new to mountain biking (but I'm learning fast).

I have a few problems and I hope with the help from experienced members I will be able to fix them.

This is what is currently on the bike:

Shifter Levers - Shimano Deore XT
Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore XT
Rear Derailleur - Shimano XTR
Crankset - Shimano Deore XT Hollowtech
Cassette - I could not see, but I'm assuming is Shimano. I will look tomorrow when there is better light, since it's dark now.

Problem 1: When I rode the bike yesterday I realized I could not shift the chain to the biggest chain wheel on the crankset. When I press the shifter lever, it attempts to shift up, but it won't hold and I have to downshift or it will make a weird grinding sound and occasionally slip. I can shift to all other gears without any problems. I cleaned and lubricated the chain to see if it would help, but no luck. Still the same problem. What could cause it not to shift up to the big chain wheel on the crankset??

Problem 2: When the chain is on the middle chain wheel on the crankset and on the smallest chain wheel on the rear cassette, the chain rubs against the front derailleur's chain guide. How can I adjust this to stop the chain from rubbing??

I will appreciate any assistance/guidance you guys can provide and look forward to learning all aspects of the bike in the process. Thanx in advance.

See less See more
#5 ·
I performed the adjustments on the front derailleur, but the chain still won't shift to the biggest chainring. I adjusted the H-limit screw about three full turns and it still won't shift to the big chainring. Most of the information I found on the forums and Google stated to adjust in 1/4 turn increments. I did that until I counted three full turns. I don't want to keep turning the screw more in fear it will come out when I ride.

Should I keep adjusting the H-limit screw more or should I be looking at another issue here??

I'm supposed to go out tomorrow for some trail riding and I would like to have this problem resolved ASAP. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
What adjustments did you make otherwise? Did increasing cable tension help at all? All the high limit screw does is limit how far the derailleur can move past the big chainring. It might be best to start as if this is a new part install...or take it to a shop.

#7 ·
When I analized the front derailleur, I noticed the cage is not past the big chainring at all. After I played with H-limit adjuster some more (counterclockwise) to try to get the cage to move towards the outside, I was able to get it to shift to the biggest chainring, but the chain now rubs quite a bit on the cage.

The cable tension is tight (tighter than the rear derailleur and brake cables). As I mentioned earlier, I don't want to keep turning the H-limiter counterclockwise in fear it will get loose while riding.

The cage height and rotational angle are good. Am I missing another way to ajust the cage movement in or out??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.