mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Help.. derailler pivot bolt

I upgraded to a new pivot bolt on my new m971

In putting it back together... I notice the b tension doesnt line up where it should..

This is my first time doing this.. so what should I do to get it lined up where I need it to be...

Mechanics my last option.. wanna do it myself..

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Before going further, remove the replacement bolt and check that all the critical dimensions are the same as the original. These include; diameter of the section inside the RD upper assy., length from under the head to the shoulder where the stop tab goes, and/or to the hanger. Other dim's such as the length of the hanger thread, or thickness of the head don't matter within reason, but there's no fudge room on those which affect the fit of mating parts.

If the bolt passes muster, check to see that the parts are properly seated before tightening, and everything should line up. If not, try to assemble using the original bolt to see where you went wrong, such as having the stop plate upside down.

Take your time, and proceed step by step, and you should clear this hurdle.

BTW- in the future, use a digital camera to record the dis-assembly process when working in unfamiliar territory, or use the old fashioned method of laying parts out in sequence and properly oriented as you dis-assemple. (Don't let your little sister or cat come in and scramble everything). I've rebuilt auto transmissions with this primitive system for remembering what goes where and how.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.