TANSTAAFL

help with conversion to 1x9, dropping chain now....

So I pull my Raceface crank off the bike, removed the small ring and the large ring, bought some shorter bolts, put it back together with only the middle ring. While I was there I bought a new chain.

Now when I shift into the largest cog at the back it drops the chain off the crank ring to the inside (where the small ring would have been)

The only two changes are the bolts and the chain....

I have replaced worn out chains and cluster at the back a bunch of times and have never seen a problem where it would not stay on the front middle ring.....

any ideas?

Jim
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

TANSTAAFL
    never mind, I figured it out, I noticed it always dropped at the same place, ie) the same teeth causing the problem. So I took a closer look and sure enough, there was a bent tooth on the middle ring causing the problem.

Cheers

Jim
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

local trails rider
    Lots of people need some extra security to ensure the chain does not drop. A light bashring and N-Gear Jump Stop seems to be a popular choice.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    The profiled teeth that help the chain shift are not your friend in a single-ring application.

A non-profiled singlespeed chainring is would certainly help matters if you continue to drop chains.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

TANSTAAFL
    Thanks I will look into both those suggestions.

Jim

mtbr member
    Get a chainguide if you really want to stop your chain from coming off.

mtbr member
    yeah, i recommend you get a single speed ring for the front (the black spire mono veloce is a popular choice, i use the 34t version), an ngear jumpstop (http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/whatis.html), a bash guard, AND shorten your chain so there's more tension. you'll be virtually bulletproof. this is my setup and i rarely drop a chain.
    Last edited by hogwash; 07-18-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    will there be beer?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by hogwash
    yeah, i reccomend you get a single speed ring for the front (the black spire mono veloce is a popular choice, i use the 34t version), an ngear jumpstop (http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/whatis.html), a bash guard, AND shorten your chain so there's more tension. you'll be virtually bulletproof. this is my setup and i rarely drop a chain.
    "Virtually?" "Rarely?"

Do you manage to still drop your chain with all that?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

local trails rider
    mmm, get a stick caught between chain and chainring. That might do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    "Virtually?" "Rarely?"

Do you manage to still drop your chain with all that?
    yeah, but rarely. usually involving a fall.
    Last edited by hogwash; 07-18-2008 at 11:37 AM.
    will there be beer?

maker of trail
    I run an inner and outer ring on my 1X9, and have yet to drop a chain... I do FR, DH and trail riding...

I always wanted a guide cos they look cool, but then I decided, when I drop a chain, even just once, I'll look into it lol